Cement siding ?

Started by Windpower, February 20, 2009, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Anyone here ever used this material

some friends are having their house resided with this -- it looks durable

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/

They had severe problems with wood peckers knocking holes in their cedar siding and making a mess

this stuff looks to be near bullet proof but I had never heard of it before

I think it looks interesting for the 'project'

afraid it may be expensive though
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

MountainDon

It does have it's good points. I'm certain woodpeckers won't go after it. It is also fire resistant or fire proof which is why I chose it for our cabin. It does require care in handling as it will snap if you are not careful. I found this tool, or a pair of them, handy for aligning the planks for installation. I used an air nailer. The stuff takes paint nicely; no stain, paint.

Special cutting tools are needed; there are special circular blades for skilsaws. Being careful not to inhale the dust is important healthwise.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg69775#msg69775

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Windpower

Thank you very much Don

your cabin is beautiful

I wondered if it was a problem with cracking it using a nailer

Guess I better look for a good one of those next

I have a paslode framer for the big stuff but looks like I now have and excuse reason to buy a new toy tool.

PEG688

You should blind nail ( nail at the top of the piece of siding then cover the nails with the next course / piece) with galv. roofing nails. Under windows and such where you have to make a  I_____I  cut you can face nail it with a gavl. siding nail. If your not "good" at hand driving nails get a small carbide drill bit or a high speed steel bit ( it will ruin the bit if you use HSS) to pre-drill for your  face nails.

It paints well and it is about the least $$ of any siding worth putting on.

LP make a siding that is about , maybe a little less than Hardi , but it's had some  issues.

Hardi sell a variety of products check out there website for new styles available in your area. Or visits a good supplier of building products in your area.

Over view on Hardi is it's a good paint grade product.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Windpower

Thanks PEG

I have some Rodman bits that will go thru just about anything

thanks for the help

Okie_Bob

I used Hardi board on both my garage and house and it's now been up on the garage 5years. I love it and don't see anything about it
that I don't like. Like Peg said, you can hand nail it but, man you better be good. Highly recommend a nail gun and follow directions from Hardi and Peg.
I made a couple of hangers out of some strap 1/16" think strpping material. Sort of a 'J' with holes in the top of the J to nail to a chalk line I put on the 30# felt I used under the Hardi.
It's also a lot of work to caulk every butt joint but, worth it in my opinion.
Love the way it painted and still looking like new after 5 years.
I highly recommend it.Just don't see a down side to it other than maybe initial cost.
Okie Bob

Windpower

"Highly recommend a nail gun and follow directions from Hardi and Peg."

would that be a roofing nailer ?

can anyone recomend a brand/type ?

PEG688

Senco,Paslode or Bostitch  all make good guns. Check your local pawn shops first then maybe a rental place see what daily rental will run vs. buying new.

You should use a 1 3/4 to 2" nail for the upper (blind) nailing.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

That SoloSider tool is adjustable in 1/16 of an incg. That makes it easy to correct for any slight width variations in the siding. I did run into a small amount of variation.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.