Food Storage

Started by Whitlock, October 30, 2008, 12:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Great info, muldoon.  Thanks.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

yeast wrangling - very clever!

Sonoran

Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 04, 2009, 01:08:04 AM
Flutterby is also Catherine, and that is where we got the food stock posted on the previous page.

Catherine?  Do you mean Latter Day Saint?
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Sonoran on January 05, 2009, 11:35:04 PM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on January 04, 2009, 01:08:04 AM
Flutterby is also Catherine, and that is where we got the food stock posted on the previous page.

Catherine?  Do you mean Latter Day Saint?

Yes, LDS.  I guess I left that pretty unclear didn't I? d*

...and speaking of food storage, I tried the Potato Pearls yesterday.  A pretty good deal as there are 12 packages that make over 9 lbs each when prepared.  That is 108 lbs of potatoes, and they are good too. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

akemt

Oh yah, potato pearls are good and easy...pre-flavored, though most people love that.  The only time I didn't like it was with morning sickness.  I haven't tried the beans myself, though I've had things made with them.  Fudge anyone?  Who'd have thought!?

And yes, by "LDS" I meant "Member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."  You'd be amazed (or not?) how much of what is said around here about government, family, preparedness and education parallels what our prophets and scriptures say...the problem is that many members don't bother reading and studying to find out and thus are easily led by social norms.  We've been studying these subjects for a couple of years now and slowly breaking off our shackles, though our progress is perhaps slowed by life with 4 young kids!
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

We are ordering more to add to the stash.  Most is good for 30 years- some 20 - some a couple.  They will not be able to starve us out for several years.... :)  One box of potato pearls with added water makes 400 servings for about $40  108 lbs of mashed potatoes  and you can 't tell them from real.  Actually they are real - just dehydrated.

I functionally finished a pretty good bunch of shelves in the new pantry section of the lower level of the underground command center.  They are about 2/3 full and more to be added as I get to it. d*

MountainDon

My experiences with freeze dried and dehydrated foods is that their definition of a serving size and mine differ.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

It could -- these say 1/2 cup per serving.

NM_Shooter

The LDS folks have a really nice food warehouse / cannery program in almost every community.  They buy in huge bulk, and the LDS members can it and purchase it at a discount. 

I wish that non-LDS folks could assist in the work and share in purchasing the food.  I have heard that the potato pearls are nice. 

Glenn, where did you purchase yours?  Were they a good deal?

I was considering getting some instant mashed from Sam's and vacuum bagging them.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Sassy

We get the food from the LDS (check out Provident Living - akempt posted the link)  The potato pearls are excellent - you really can't tell that they aren't fresh & all you add is water - don't need milk or butter - so if things got really bad & you didn't have access to those items, you could still have good potatoes. 

When Glenn & Whitlock went to pickup the food, one of the ladies there said that the food is offered to everyone - that way, people would be prepared & they wouldn't have as many people in need to help out if things dumped.  It's a great program.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

akemt

I don't know if you can go in and do the canning yourself, but I do know that all our employment, social services, and humanitarian aide is offered to all regardless of religion...based on need and obviously for those who ask.  There is no cannary around here (According to Palin we're officially "nowhere", Alaska) but if memory serves, those who are accepting assistance can go and spend a day canning and then take home a certain percentage for themselves.  I'd suggest looking up a "Bishop" in the phone book and asking him.
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 14, 2009, 09:54:52 AM
The LDS folks have a really nice food warehouse / cannery program in almost every community.  They buy in huge bulk, and the LDS members can it and purchase it at a discount. 

I wish that non-LDS folks could assist in the work and share in purchasing the food.  I have heard that the potato pearls are nice. 

Glenn, where did you purchase yours?  Were they a good deal?

I was considering getting some instant mashed from Sam's and vacuum bagging them.

-f-

I see Sassy got this answered - I had to sell my body for money today.  The order form is on the Provident Living site along with prices on the PDF which may vary from the time  the order is placed to pickup time - usually not much..  It takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get it in. 

A direct link to the order form and pricing -

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/120132_HSOrderForm_US_JAN_09_pdf.pdf

The Potato Pearls are shorter term storage - maybe a year or two? - it says limited, but they are the best - One box about $40 works out to about 400 half cup servings or about .10 per serving - 108 lbs of potatoes after water is added.  Takes about 3 minutes and I find that about 2 1/2 water to 1 part pearls makes a bit stiffer potatoes  - I find also that you can adjust them if too thin by adding a few more.