Dormer balcony

Started by tko, January 14, 2009, 02:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tko

Hi, this is my first post, and I have to say, since I discovered this website a few weeks ago, the more I come back and dig into all the information available, the more I'm impressed by this incredibly valuable resource.

Now I haven't nailed down exactly what we want to build on our vacant lakefront lot here in Saskatchewan, Canada (-33 celsius, -45 with windchill today), but I've been plugging away at a 40' wide by 24' deep 1.5 story design using the Punch! home design software. I'm starting to think that I can adapt one of your plans to work with this custom design, but one of the key features that I'm kind of hung up on having is a dormer balcony, either with a gable or shed roof, similar to this: http://www.robinsonplans.com/craftsman/PlanC.htm  or maybe this:  http://www.robinsonplans.com/craftsman/PlanH.htm       

I'd also like to consider flanking this on either side with normal window dormers as well. Now I'm not totally against having an upper balcony that extends off a gable end, but I just really like the dormer style appearance. Now I've been thinking that maybe the standard 20'x30' 1-1/2-story cottage plan might be adaptable/expandable if turned sideways; I prefer the long side to face the lake to maximize views from the rooms, which of course would necessitate significant changes to the interior layout.

Surprisingly to me, I haven't been able to find alot of information about the design and construction considerations of a dormer balcony, does anyone have any insights?

The other design I'm starting to really warm up to is the Victoria cottage possibly expanded to a 3rd bedroom (or maybe the Enchilada?), but come up with some way to put a dormer balcony up there (or maybe just a conventional balcony on a gable end).   

Like I said, I'm very impressed by alot of the work that many of you are doing, and I can only hope that my very limited construction experience and handyness will serve me half as well as I eventually move this project out of my head and through to fruition. 

Tom

Bishopknight

Welcome Tko!

Wow, and I thought my land was cold!  d*

I know you're interested in dormer balconys but have you looked at Johns Solar Farmhouse?
http://countryplans.com/whid_hs.htm

Before I built my earth berm, I was seriously considering it. It has lots of great features that would be perfect for overlooking water.

MountainDon

Quote from: tko on January 14, 2009, 02:02:15 PM

Now I haven't nailed down exactly what we want to build on our vacant lakefront lot here in Saskatchewan, Canada (-33 celsius, -45 with windchill today),

w* Tom. But you do have glorious blue skies, unlike many areas with grey skies much of the winter/year. I'm from Manitoba; been in NM for a couple decades now. I don't miss those temps, though I used to walk to school and work in them.

I haven't seen many balconies as you described and linked to. There may be some ideas coming. It does seem the only difference between that and a normal dormer for headroom gain and windows is the exterior floor. That would present it's own unique dlashing and sealing problems.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

w* Tom..  It is way to cold to live there if you ask me.

I think with proper flashing - maybe an EPDM liner or some other good membrane the balcony could be done.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

tko

Thanks for all the input. Yes, I did check out the Salt Box plan and it had also tweaked my interest so I'm ruling nothing out at this point in terms of designs. Regarding the dormer balcony, I agree, the issues that concern me are proper drainage, snow build-up, leakage, etc. and I understand that there is a price for a "luxury" like this. The other thing is, I was hoping to have the roofline from the balcony extend out further to create a covered patio underneath, kinda like having my cake and eating it too :) I'll do a bit of reasearch on the flashing and sealing mentioned below, thanks.

Tom

Yes - it is definitely WAY TOO COLD here, especially the last few days, but only -30 today (-44 windchill) but they're saying -2 tomorrow!!!     

MountainDon

If I was to build such a balcony the floor would be built with a slight slope like a flat roof. Use an EPDM membrane. Provision for drains are a must. Then the actual floor you walk on would be installed, level, above that, supported totally from the side and/or ends. Nothing would contact the waterproof floor below. That 'service' floor would be built like a deck so water would run through below and drain from there. Building that is removable squares might be an idea for inspections, clearin out leaves, etc.

There's probably other ways, but this is what I have seen done around here.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.