when and are utilities lines excavated and install

Started by BigMish, March 18, 2007, 04:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

I've got a very simple question that any home builder would probably be able to answer but in spite of that (or maybe because) I can't find the answer in any book: when are utility lines excavated, when are they installed and how do they get into the foundation? I would assume that the cheapest way to do excavation would be to have the excavator excavate for the foundation and the utilities at the same time. Can that be done?

Some details about my home: it is a 20'x30' 1 ½ story cottage with a crawlspace foundation. I'll be running in electric underground as well as well water in and waste water out to a septic tank.

Thanks, Mischa

peg_688

Yes it can do done that way.  Dig hole ,dig ditch, call your local utility they will have a break down of what they want , what can be in the ditch what can't , how deep , etc.

The wire can be run from the vault down the ditch , and up the conduit that more than likely will come up in the foundation  wall  , your licensed electrician would also know these details.    He or you will have to locate the right spot in that wall for the conduit for the foundation contractor, or for your self if you are DIY foundation wise.

desdawg

Here in AZ most homes are slab on grade rather than crawlspace. The foundation is excavated and poured. We then go inside of the stems and trench for the plumber to install his drains under the floor. If you have a crawl space you won't need that. The electrical panel is placed on an exterior wall after framing and we can then trench from the panel to the utility pole or transformer. The sewer line is stubbed out 5' beyond the footing with cleanouts installed in the yard and capped. The drain system is filled with water or air tested for their leak inspection. We hook on to the stub out later and install the septic system, usually when the exterior of the building is completed and no one will be driving over it. We bring the water line to the exterior of the building from the well or water main and the plumber takes it into the building. At most you should only have to get under the footing and the remainder will be above grade and accessable within the home/crawlspace. So basically you can go ahead and build your home with all utility connections stubbed to the exterior. The underground utilities can be installed anytime after that. You should contact your electrical provider before designing your wiring as they may have a specific location for your electric meter to be installed for ease of meter reading. This is pretty typical.

peg_688

What if a guy doesn't wanta see the conduit pipe and metal meter base box on the side of his house???  ;)

desdawg

I don't know PEG. They always seem to want to read the meter so they can send you a bill every month.

peg_688

You've never seen a flush install on a elec. meter?? Oh ya your in Az. land of stucco and poorly built structures , maybe you never have seen a flush install meter base ;D

glenn-k

I guess when you have PEG and desdawg, you don't really need me. :'(

Sassy

peg_688

Oh I looked but I don't have one in my photo bucket acct. and couldn't find one to snag off the net.  Next time I'm around one I'll get a photo for future reference  ;) We've had a few installed they do look nicer all you see is the meter , the glass part and the seal ring , everything else is in the wall.

desdawg

I haven't seen one yet PEG. The only thing we flush here is the terlet. As for poorly built stuff here in AZ I gave up carpentry when I moved here. I didn't have that mandatory disease-hatchitassatosis so I couldn't work here. It is much easier on me if I just go and play in the dirt.  :-/

BigMish

So just to confirm I am understanding correctly:
-      The well water in and the sewer out are run under the footer after the foundation is poured
-      The electric  is run underground and to an external meter and then into the house through the stud wall (obviously after walls are built)
-      The phone line is run underground through the stud wall (obviously after walls are built)

Do I have it?

glenn kangiser

Some could go either way or be provided for in the foundation before it is poured.  Not necessarily a fixed rule and depends on your specific situation.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Rover

On my current project, the engineer didn't allow us to run services under footings.  They have us lower the footing and sleeve (create opening ) thru the foundation wall.  This eliminated the potential of the footing exerting pressure on the services.  I imagine that this is the case when the service is near the founding elevation.  I don't know how far I'd have to be below to have sufficient soil cover/cushion.
In terms of sequence, this is a commercial project and foundations were built first with all sleeves created in the right locations.  Then after the plumbers ran their services.  On some projects we just pour and coredrill the openings later if the plumbers weren't quick enough, or if it cost more to have plumbers come to the site early or if we estimated wrong.  

If it were my residential project, I'd form an opening in the foundation in advance.  Make the opening taller to be on the safe side to give you or the plumber more leaway.