Old stone house and grounds

Started by poppy, May 09, 2010, 08:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

I think I mentioned before that there is a very old stone house down the road from my farm that had been bought and rehabbed.

This is the view from the west.

From the south west.

From the north west.  Note the lack of windows.

Some of the stone work.

I'm not sure if the buyer rehabbed the additional or built it new.

The creek crossing was completely under water a couple of weeks ago.

Potential high water was the reason for the foot bridge.  Back in the day, we called them swinging bridges.

I was glad to see that someone saved this historic house which is one of the oldest houses in Adams county.  However the flipper bought it just before the realestate bust and it's still on the market with 18 acres for about $125,000 I think.

tesa

lovley home

thanks for sharing

i'm not too familiar with prices on such a lot, but around these parts, for an historic home,
on 18 acres, that price sounds about right, maby even a little low

we saw such things as 1/2 acre w/ water, electric, and septic for 40K, i even called our agent and
had her confirm that amazing price

we also found a 5 bedroom fixer-uper on 15 acres for 80K

our friends just closed on their dream home in a brand new subdivision with not a tree one, close enough
to the neighbors to hear a fart, for 200K

funny things real estate prices

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

glenn kangiser

Cool old house.  I like to see the old stuff fixed up. 

I am currently working on two old business fixer uppers from the early to mid 1900's and while sometimes more expensive than building new, it's nice to see the old stuff saved.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

poppy

Well I was wrong about the asking price.  It's $169,000.  :o  When they first rehabbed it I thought I saw a listing for $125K.  Anyway, it's no wonder it's not sold.

It is claimed to be 219 years old  ??? and on the old Zane's Trace.  It may even have some history with the Underground Railroad, but I don't have any evidence.

There's no way it was built in 1791.  This area wasn't even settled untill about 1796 or 97 and the houses were mostly log.  To my knowlege, the oldest stone structure in Adams county is the Presbyterian church which was built in 1810.

Anyway the 5" of rain last Friday did some serious damage to the new road down to the creek.  The water was still flowing over the "bridge" on Sunday.

Coopers

Just noticed this house is still online for sale.  FYI, it was built in 1797/1798 by Andrew Ellison around the same time as Treber Inn.  It is mentioned in the Caldwell's Atlas (1880).  Ellison and his wife are supposed to be buried there between the creek and the house.  Stephen Kelly (local historican) said it is possibly the oldest stone house in the Ohio Virginia Military District.

poppy

Thanks Coopers,  I drove by it today as a matter of fact.  Here is a link to the listing and it's back to $129,900.  http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlisting.aspx?mls=1317289&b=CIN&p=RESI&s=SFRD&m=1&sender=QuickSearch&a=3626-Logans-Ln-Adams-Co.-OH-45693

So it's been on the market for about 3 years now and it's not the only property out here that's sitting with no action.

hpinson

Wow. For someone interested in historic rehab that looks like a steal.  It is a very interesting building and the outside looks well cared for. I looked at the listing above and they show pictures of the building interior. Again, wow! Ohio remains one of the best value areas in real estate... if you have work.

Coopers

I would guess that the addition is new.  The old addition shown in Stephen Kelly's book show the roof sloping east and not being peaked.  The house was abandoned in the 1970s at the time of Kelly's book and photographs.  Oddly, this house is not on the National Register.  It should be.  In the county history, there is a very interesting story about the builder/owner when he was captured by Indians at Massie's Station and taken to Detroit in 1791.  He was ransomed by a British officer for a blanket and walked back to Massie's Station the same year!  If I had steady employment in the area, I would buy this house in a second.

poppy

You guys hit the nail on the head.  Employment is a key issue here in Adams county.

The addition is indeed new.  I wasn't sure in my initial post since there was an addition existing before the rehab. 

I first toured the house back in '06 or '07 when it was on the market before the current rehab.  It was really rough on the inside.  I don't remember the asking price, but it was more than I could afford.

I'm surprised it has public water, since the water line does not run the full length of Logans Lane.  My property further up the road does not have water available.

I too don't understand why it's not on the National Register.

I don't know who rehabbed the place but they are certainly going to lose their shirts on this flip.

TGillick

I am a descendant on the original owner. Does anyone know if this home is still on the market or who owns it?

Thank you so much!

ChugiakTinkerer

Quote from: TGillick on December 06, 2016, 09:13:54 AM
I am a descendant on the original owner. Does anyone know if this home is still on the market or who owns it?

Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum!  I don't see the house listed on the Ohio multiple listing service (MLS).  County records usually provide public access to the names of property owners, so you may have some luck going through the Adams County web site: https://adamscountyoh.gov/Tax-Map-Department.asp
My cabin build thread: Alaskan remote 16x28 1.5 story

poppy

I have some more info on the stone house.  Since my last post a new book has been published entitled "Ulysses Underground, The Unexplored Roots of U.S. Grant and the Underground Railroad" by G.L. Corum, ISBN 9780996206419,
https://www.ulyssesunderground.com/

This book reveals that the stone house was indeed part of the Underground Railroad and is situated on the old Zane's Trace through Adams County.  This is one (built about 1797) of a series of stone and brick houses built before 1803 that form a line north through the county.

When I get the opportunity I'll drive by to see if there is still a for sale sign or any signs of someone living there.  I may also take a look at the courthouse to find the current owner. In the mean time here is the google view on Logan's Lane, West Union with the red roof house in the bottom center left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8315061,-83.5108264,163m/data=!3m1!1e3