Maison-Sur-Marais -- 20x44 in Eastern Ontario

Started by Kodakjello, September 08, 2006, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Kodakjello

Two more weekends and the shed will be finished! We've managed to get almost all of the sheathing up, I've started building the door while we have managed to finish the flying rafters, the roof sheathing, and the ice & water shield installation. It was a bit tricky up on the 12:12 roof trying to unroll the Ice&Water shield but we got it 'er done  ;)

I've added some pictures to this post so you can see the flying rafter details and the blocking I setup to help me lift the roof sheathing into place. My favourite job was making the door, it kinda came to me on the spur of the moment...I think it's going to turn out really well (BTW cedar is not cheap  :))

As far as the house goes, it's full steam ahead. I'm finishing the driveway in preparation for the concrete trucks, excavating the holes for the piers next Friday, booking the concrete pumper truck for Monday, and my family is coming up for the Canada Day weekend to help us. I still have to cut the plated steel rods for the foundation bracket bolts (Home Depot doesn't stock 3/4" bolts) and build the 2x4 templates that will help me align the brackets in the wet concrete. Lot's of things to plan for but I'll make sure I have pictures for it all.

glenn kangiser

Nice use of the working alone ideas.  Looks good.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Nice door too. It'll look even better in 20 years! (Unlike a new steel door!)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Kodakjello

Thanks, I agree. The other options didn't look like they would last in the long term plus the door would have to be custom ordered for the special width and height of the rough opening. I am really liking the look of cedar now, I might finish the gable ends in cedar shingles and the rest in a stone grey metal siding.

Since my last post I've installed the 15lb felt on the walls, installed a small window, finished the door, and added an electronic Weiser lock for security. This should be good enough for the short term and I've managed to finish it just in time for the foundation work.

Since the water table has finally gone down to 5 feet below grade, my plan is to get the pier holes excavated this Friday and Saturday. The concrete guys will do the pour on Tuesday with a pumper truck and I'll sink the CB88 brackets for the foundation. It's going to be a busy weekend (especially with Canada day and all) but it's been a long time coming.

As usual, I'll have pictures of the event and some detail shots. In fact, I might just venture into the YouTube arena and post some videos of the concrete and excavation action  :D

Kodakjello

Kodakjello

Bad news everyone. I guess you've all probably guessed that something went wrong with the groundbreaking when I didn't post pics for a few months. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that we've decided not to build on our current land. The neighbours had become a real headache:

- Burning garbage ALL THE TIME even after being fined by the Fire Marshall
- Dragging rusted cars onto their back yard
- Blocking my driveway with their small trailers of garbage
- Stealing my lumber/supplies

So, we've decided to stop building, put the land up for sale, and try in a different place or try buying an existing cottage that needs some work. It has really set me back emotionally and psychologically to walk away from this project after investing so many years in the planning and financing  :(. Anyone who thinks the city is a tough place to live and work...try dealing with ignorance and stubborness in the country. The really sad part is that I've met so many great people out in the country...I hate that the few negative encounters I've had, have managed to sour my attitude towards rural life.

In any case, you'll probably be hearing from me at a later date. Hopefully, with some good news and a new set of blueprints  ;)

Thanks, everyone, for your tips and assistance!

Kodakjello

glenn kangiser

Rough to work when you have to deal with something like that.  I hope things improve for you.

raybob

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.