Insurance What to buy during building

Started by new land owner, March 23, 2011, 03:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

I am starting my camp this summer and I was wondering what type of insurance I should get during the building process.  I am planning on doing all the work with the exception of the basement walls and floor.

Redoverfarm

Do a search on this site as "builders insurance".  this has came up before.  The companies in this area will write a Home Owners Policy while building and revert it to a regular policy upon completion

suburbancowboy

What size are you building?  If you have done your fire prevention work first and this isn't a huge place do you really need it.  Only thing you would have to worry about is arson.

MushCreek

Quote from: suburbancowboy on March 24, 2011, 11:21:19 AM
What size are you building?  If you have done your fire prevention work first and this isn't a huge place do you really need it.  Only thing you would have to worry about is arson.

What about theft and liability? Having been sued once, I'm paranoid about someone getting hurt on our property!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Yankeesouth

There is construction insurance but it is expensive.  There is also something called abandoned building insurance. Kind of self explanatory.  I carried a liability rider on my homeowners.  It was about 100$ for the year.  A lot of it will depend on where you live.  Go to a private insurer for more info.  The big firms are sometimes limited on who and what they can insure.