any ideas? repurposing glass & possibles for bamboo

Started by countryborn, September 26, 2010, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryborn

Hi, friends.  I suppose I have become a "lurker"  cuz I mostly read & absorb.  Don't have much to offer, except lots of experience working on a real hill (23% grade), with clay soil.  Brick hard in summer (we bought a jack hammer for digging), heavy & slick in the wet season. 
We have access to some dark tinted window glass that is destined for recycle.  any ideas for how we could use it?  We have all the windows in our house already, & I think it is too dark for green house glass.
Also can get bamboo for free.  A co-worker of mine has some in his yard, way more than he wants.  We are not going to plant any.  If I get some green bamboo, what can I do with it?  I have some ideas, open to more.  And when is the best time to harvest?  How is it cured?
Thanks for any knowlege you can share.
you can't have everything without having too much of something.

HomeschoolMom

I saw a show once where they tied the bamboo together and made fence panels.  I think it was on Renovation Nation if you want to google it.
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

jb52761

I'm guessing the windows are fairly new if they are tinted, which means glass is tempered?? Can't cut it with a generic glass cutter. Would probably shatter. How big are they? I was thinking build frames out of furring or 2 x 2's, assemble together with glass inserted, make a decent box-shaped cabinet for storage, etc. Another thought...wrap edges with metal or new wood frames and set on top of a log, or nice big boulder, etc for a cool table or bar...

jb52761

...as for the bamboo....I'd build a ladder to get up and down the damn hill... d*

firefox

Bamboo is great for building really big kites. When I lived in Puerto Rico as a child the bigger kids would make kites that were at least 6 feet on the long side.
If you have a lot of the glass, you might think of building a storage shed with the glass used as roofing tiles. Makes finding things easier and since it is tinted, shouldn't be too hot in side.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824