Dept of Energy, Building Energy Codes

Started by MountainDon, April 22, 2007, 01:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

In my burrowing through the myriad regulations governing building in my state I discovered that New Mexico's Construction Industries Division, which has the final say on any building permits issued in my neck of the woods, have adopted and enforces their version of the 2003 Energy Conservation Code. It appears that I may have to make an alteration or two to my cabin-to-be plans if I want to be code compliant. [Adding a layer of 1 inch foam to the exterior walls would do the trick]  Irregardless of what I do in the end, the link below may be of interest to you.

http://www.energycodes.gov/

You can download a program called REScheck or use an online version. There is also an online prescriptive package generator. REScheck has you enter settings for state, city or county, code type used (also has a state, city lookup to see what you area uses) ceiling, wall, floor insulation, windows, door U-factors etc. to check if your plan idea will either pass or fail and by what percent. The package generator is a little simpler and will allow you to print a form that could be submitted with plans to your permit department.

MountainDon

My visit to the CID was enlightening I suppose. The guy behind the counter was quite candid in stating, that even if I never lived in the cabin I would have to abide by the Energy Conservation Code. I thought as much going in, that just confirmed it. In my case the altitude at the cabin is what kicked in going the extra mile.

ResCheck is kinda cool. You can play around with wall, floor, windows and make something work out. I found that going to R-30 in the floor instead of R-19 will pass.

Now I have to decide if I really think I'm flying under the radar.   :-/

borgdog

Pretty cool tool.  unfortunately it says it does not show compliance in Washington (more stringent state code), but fun to play with none the less.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.