Tape Casting Tutorial

Started by glenn-k, March 15, 2007, 10:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

What good is it -I dunno, but looks interesting. :-?

http://tapesculpture.org/index.html

MountainDon

Interesting, but I'm wondering where could I possibly use that. Who knows. More stuff to fill up space between remaining brain cells.

glenn-k

You could make a tape cast of your face and paint it green for St Patties day.  I think you paint the inside.

MountainDon

LOL!!!     [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

jraabe

I wonder if small things like wanting to breathe through cling wrap would slow the project down. MountainDon might then end up with a permanently green face.  :P

Interesting technique however. I wonder if you could use this as a cheap casting technique - perhaps filling the interior with a polymer of some kind. Probably couldn't be too big or the weight of the interior material would overpower the thin walls of the cast.

glenn-k

More tape, John - poke holes in the cling wrap to breath through - straws in the nose?   You could probably put a layer of fiberglass in the mold if you were careful.  

I was hoping to do a bust of the wife to make a yard light out of -- she was a bit concerned about the shape, but I don't think she would let me use another model. :-/  I guess that one probably won't happen. :)

MountainDon

I have to tell you that when I first saw the thread title "tape casting tutorial" the first image that came to mind was seeing how far you could cast (throw) your tape measure while holding onto to end of the tape....  :o :-?   I can't explain it...

glenn-k

MountainDon

I've heard of drag racing belt sanders, so didn't think it was too far out of the ball park... :-?