Shoji style sliding doors.

Started by PEG688, February 24, 2010, 12:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Here's the photos on the barn style / Shoji style doors.

We're working thru some related  details , I think they home owners are not going to like the painted wall behind the glass when the doors are opened, so you can see I have a sheet of stained ply behind the one door.

The basics  here are the track style a upgraded pocket door track rated for 300 lbs or so IIRC.

The 1 1/8 ply is screwed to the wall the track is screwed to the 1 1/8" ply, you can see I made a "L" out of the ply, glued and screwed together.

The wheels are four tired type , the door attachment part is heavy duty,

I'll add more as it happens.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

Cool stuff, PEG.  Question about the plywood used to hold the door.  Is the holding strength of the plywood compromised when you screw into the sides as opposed to the face? Or have you also added glue to reinforce?

PEG688

Quote from: MikeT on February 24, 2010, 09:22:23 AM

Cool stuff, PEG. 

Thanks , and ya it is cool to get out of the normal path on occasions

Question about the plywood used to hold the door.  Is the holding strength of the plywood compromised when you screw into the sides as opposed to the face?

I may not be following you on this one or you missed the photo showing the piece I glued and screwed on that the track screws go into. So I'm attaching in what would be cross grain in the ply, not running the screws into the cross plys. 

Or have you also added glue to reinforce?

Yes the joint is glued and screwed, the screws really are just clamps , that ply glued together at that joint would not fail on the glue line , it would rip the inner plys out before the glue failed. So I'm confidant in that joint.

Redoverfarm

Peg in all honesty I think a set of library doors would have looked much nicer.  Even if you used the shoji panels as the pocket door. Is this the house on the water that you have been working on?

PEG688

No, this is a different house.

Another lil rambler ;)

PEG688

They're not really Shoji doors , just frosted glass , the idea is to block off the family room from the dinning room and kitchen area.

They'll seldom get used. I think two wall panels that match the door details would look cool when the doors where closed , so you'd have a wall of "panels".  The added benefit would be no seeing the painted walls thru the glass when the doors are open or pushed back as shown in the photos.

Seeing the painted walls just bugs me for some reason.