drafty window problem....

Started by tjm73, January 09, 2006, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm73

Last night I noticed a problem in my apartment.  If moving was an option I would be so moved, but I am about to start school again (it's been 9 years, but I'm totally changing directions) and moving is out for now.  Plus I've got a pretty leanient landlord.  He's good friends of the family and I'm his longest running steady and most importently paying on time tenent.  He's even pushed me to move out because he knows I'd be better off with my own place that I owned.  And he's right.  But I can't right now.

Anywho last night I watched curtains in one of my windows move when the wind blew really hard.  I checked the window to make sure it was closed completely.  It was.

I'm at a loss for how to seal it up effectivly but not permenantly.  I'm kicking around ideas where I can take it out in the summer so I can open my window.  I don't have much faith in the commercially available window sealing kits.  Everyone I've seen used has not worked very well.

I want to do something that will allow light in while keeping the wind out and the warm in.  I have a cat and it's one of only 2 windows she has and she favors the South window.  It's the South window that's drafty.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Jimmy C.

It may be the redneck in me but.... I would use duct tape and trim it down enough to keep it from looking too tacky while controlling the draft.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

tjm73

QuoteIt may be the redneck in me but.... I would use duct tape and trim it down enough to keep it from looking too tacky while controlling the draft.

And here I had my mind stuck on a more elaborate solution... ::)

Good idea.  I could even use clear packageing tape.  And it's quite a cheap solution.

John Raabe

Check out the gift thread I started before Christmas. Maybe Santa will come through with a last gift... ;)

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1133981695

None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

After three months the tape will MYL lift of any paint or finish you stuck the tape to, If that's not a issue  you've got a winner.

How about a Plastic strom window on the outside? , or the kind you put on inside and heat up with blow drier to stretch it tight .
 PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

tjm73

QuoteCheck out the gift thread I started before Christmas. Maybe Santa will come through with a last gift... ;)

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1133981695

We have a winner.  I'm gonna buy a tube of this stuff and use it.  It's perfect.