My first house design that was built

Started by poppy, January 19, 2010, 12:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

This house was my first design and was built on Cherry St. in my home town for my sister-in-law about 40 years ago.

Not much to look at, I know, but most people didn't have new houses back then.  I don't have the original plans but here is my recollection of the basic floor plan.  It was roughly 1100 to 1200 sf plus an oversized single car garage.

I have gotten much more sophisicated in my designs since then.  ;)

Freeholdfarm

It actually looks like a very good, basic, livable floor plan.  Sophisticated isn't always necessary, LOL!  I like the big utility room next to the kitchen.  IMO too many houses nowadays are lacking something like that.

Kathleen

bayview

Still standing!  Actually, I am sincere in saying that it looks great. . . Well built.  Congratulations to you! 

I like how the the stone is cut and laid like brick. 

Do you recall what it cost to build?  I remember the story of my Aunt and Uncle who bought their home in the 50s for $8000.  The family was wondering how in the world they would pay for it.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

RainDog

Hey, Poppy, do you remember the dimensions, garage included?

30x50? Something like that?
NE OK

poppy

I really don't remember what it cost to build, but it was probably in the $10K range.  The land was given to them by the husband's parents.

The stone was not my choice.

The dimensions were roughly 28'x54' including the garage.  I designed it originally with a 12' garage, but the husband wanted 14'.

They later added a large family room off the back with a bath and a large stone fireplace which was pretty unique.  Then they got divorced and both remarried.  The SIL moved away and the ex moved with his new wife into the family farm house I think.

Recent owners added an ugly garage extension on the right end.