a real eye opener!!

Started by melwynnd, April 03, 2005, 10:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melwynnd

Hi all,

My husband and I went to Billings for our 10 year anniversary this weekend.  Just for the fun of it...and for comparison purposes, we went to the modular home dealer.  We walked around and looked through them.  Some of them were quite nice, if a little sterile.  So we went back to find out about prices.  

Holy cow!! there was nothing under 90,000 :o(and this was for manufactured, not modular)!!  I thought manufactured housing is supposed to be cheaper.  Even if we spend that much building our Victoria's Cottage(unlikely), we can pay as we go so we don't HAVE to make that payment if we don't have it.  The down side is that we don't get that instant gratification of having the house NOW! ;D

Sherrry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

glenn kangiser

There is a small town near here where the entire major housing area is manufactured or modular.  A whole town of them together with not much landscaping or trees to cover them up is not a pretty sight. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

But you may still be able to get a new single-wide for 15 grand.  With appliances!

::)

melwynnd

Amanda,

My husband won't even consider a single wide(that's what we're in now).  Besides I really love the Victorian Cottage look.  This just gives me great justification to do what I really want to do anyway ;D(I love it when things work like that)

So I guess it's time to mark out where the slab for the house is going and GET STARTED!!  Of course that's where the best grass in the lawn grows >:(.  Anyone know anything about cutting and moving sod?

Sherry
Sherry

Good things come in small packages!!

Amanda_931

Something that looks like a hoe pounded flat, I think.

the official tool.  Expensive--not found in everybody's garden shed:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=01sl

There are also some manual edgers that will probably work just about as well, half-moon shaped, with the straight edge on the bottom.

(I don't want a singlewide myself, but just to point out that inexpensive--as well as cheap--manufactured housing is still available)

Dan

there are motorized sod cutters that can be rented at your local equpment rental store.  Work much easier than the manual ones, it cuts, you roll and move to new location, works great.