Issue with Anchor Bolts in Cinder Block

Started by VannL, December 24, 2016, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VannL

We had a two year pause on our house build, and even at one point we decided that we were not going to build it. I am happy to say that it is back in full swing.

The issue is that the mortar bags were tossed out during a point of "clean up". Obviously, it is a little hard to get the cement to stay put, no matter how much I ask nicely. Without said bags, what are some alternatives I could use to move along with the bolt installation?

Thanks as always, and from our house-in-progress to yours, Merry Christmas.
If you build it, it will be yours!

Redoverfarm

If I am understanding you correctly you are trying to set your sill bolts. Use portions of broken block or rock first then
use what ever is available to prevent the mortar from sinking down through the block courses.  News papers, tar paper,Styrofoam, plastic bags  and the like.  Do not use wood. Layout is real important to make sure that the bolts do not interfere with the placement of wall studs which will ultimately be placed onto your sill plate.  When troweling around the J-bolts try to make the mortar smooth and not allow it to stick up past the block tops as it will create an uneven plate.  I usually follow up with a foam seal on top of the block before placing the sill plate upon the wall.  Good Luck

VannL

Yes, John, you have it right. I am trying to set my anchor bolts for the sill plate.

I have been careful to make the tops of the three that I have in so far very smooth. I will go with a seal on top before setting the sill plate down.
If you build it, it will be yours!