Patio Cover Plans

Started by rdevine16, December 06, 2016, 04:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanS

If you are attaching the hanger to concrete you need a hanger designed for that. I think the first one you linked is right.

The other really important thing with hangers is that you use the fasteners specified in the instructions. Hardware stores sell dinky little nails called 'hanger nails' that are rarely what you are supposed to be using.

Also notice in the instructions for the concrete hanger it says to attach to a 'grouted beam' that means that the top course of your block wall should be filled solid - not left hollow. I'm not sure if you can see or feel up there to see that the wall is filled?

Don_P

There is usually a wood plate anchor bolted to the top of the block wall that the rafters and ceiling attach top. Regular gauge "top flange hangers" of some type should work. The one I saw you had linked was very heavy gauge and expensive looking, the ones I'm thinking of are like a regular hanger and either have the top bent over to hook on and hang from the top of something, or they make hangers with long straps continuing above the joist height. Those straps can be bent over the top of the wall and nailed.