steel I beam span question

Started by nathan.principe, January 14, 2013, 09:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Quote from: roadtripray on January 18, 2013, 11:42:10 AM
Very nice design.  With this design, does the railing and the webbing between the rail and joist beam(s) become part of the supporting structure as well?  I could see how that could integrate to be sort of like a floor truss.

Ray

Yes that is the idea. It is a big truss. Engineering required or somebody is simply guessing.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

nathan.principe

In the previous link provided by MD I believe it is what they were refering to as a "stiffening truss", and yes, Im just guessing, but to elaborate, heres my guess.  The railing/truss that you see in the design will be composed of triple 2x6s to give a "beefy" look, but also so we can stager all the seems (similar to a built up beam).  All the separate pieces will be glued and held together with hex bolts and nuts.  My thought is that we can erect the "tower supports" first, then span the 2 trusses across the pond and bolt into place.  My line of thinking is that the trusses will be ridged enough to support the dead load ( the weight of just them selves and the 4 bracket/beams that will be tied to the cable).  No more work will be performed on the bridge untill the cable support system is in place.  At that time we will proceed with the remaining joists and decking of the bridge.

Now with all that being said, the builder probably knows an engineer Im guessing that will over look the plans.