clerestory & ventilation

Started by june, July 11, 2006, 03:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

june

It's been a long time since I was in Costa Rica, but I can't get out of my mind those simple buildings used for lodging at some of the resorts.  They had high windows that seemed to create a breeze through lower windows.   A few questions:  For that to work well do prevailing winds need to move across the roof in a way that creates low pressure at the clerestory windows?  In other words, if prevailing winds in my spot are from the southwest, must the windows face northeast?  If so, is that appropriate in my untropical (central Missouri, USA) climate.  If I want clerestory windows, is the easiest way to do that by using shed-roofed modules, putting some of the Country Plans side by side?  I found some sketches on the shed roof link from the main page, but no specific plans to match.  Does any modern architecture use cupolas like old barns did for ventilation?  The sound of my AC running and the image of the whirling electric meter have sent my mind to casting about for other solutions.  Thank you all for any thoughts you can share.  

MIEDRN

hi! I did a search and found this website. I've only glanced at it but it recommends siting a building to take advantage of ventilation by clerestory windows.

A little technical but helpful!

http://www.wbdg.org/design/naturalventilation.php

Amanda_931

Another thing that clerestory windows can do is to put winter sun deeper into your house in the winter.  But I think for ventilating it's low on the windward side, high on the leeward.  Or an exhaust fan in one of the high windows.  Or one of those whole house exhaust fans that opens louvers on the ceiling when it cuts on.  

I'm not finding what I'm looking for.  There's a site with discussions of cool tubes and solar chimneys.  Later.

This is mostly an ad for a book--may tell you something, though:

http://www.oikos.com/esb/51/passivecooling.html

There's been quite a bit of work on how to site houses so that the prevailing breezes go through, not sure that I have anything from the web handy.

(and rumor hath it that the old Southern plantation houses had upstairs fireplaces just so they could use a small fire to get air moving through  the house in the summer)

Cupolas, functional and are not just decorative, still work.  There might be a problem with rain when you're gone for the day.  Which might be why they are mostly thought about for barns.  Might check out this page:

http://www.woodshopcupolas.com/

Wind scoops--commercial kinds available for your sailboat--people like Hassan Fathy and Nader Khalili adapted Middle Eastern/African versions in their architecture.  You can make them into near air conditioning if you live in a dry climate, and have a sprinkler system inside--up to 15o Centigrade lowering of air temps.  Both of these work by sending air down.  They can also be used to send air up and thereby draw air in on the opposite side.

here's one that looks like it turns to face the wind (maybe useful, especially if you have variable winds, not gorgeous)--could you adapt one of those cattle feeders where the top swivels to keep rain out of their food?:

http://www.cabe.org.uk/CaseStudies.aspx?csid=96&imgid=16

Homesick_Gypsy

I also recently saw an ad from the Solatube people for a solar powered attic vent.  Might work on the roof?  Perhaps?

Amanda_931

Some of those "solar powered attic vent" jobs have been kind of wimpy.  And they are expensive.

june

Thank you all for input.  I'm in the thinking, examining lots of options stage, and it all goes into the mix.  Right now I live in a mobile home, learning lots about what I do and don't like.  I love the open, compact smallness, hate that I can't leave windows open in the rain.  So I'll plan for nice overhangs.  I hate the loud fan in the furnace/ac that is right in the middle of the house.  

Amanda_931

You like natural ventilation and quiet?  

Well, yes.  

Maybe not quite as uncomplicated as it may seem.  Especially if you live in an area that is regularly under the influence of a Bermuda High in the summer.  Oh, yes, and we have extra moisture coming from the Gulf this weekend.   ;)  Maybe no rain, though.

So indoors I'm trying to balance cooling and dehumidifying with quiet.  Just at the moment I'm using one of those AC units that sit inside the house.  It's removing at least a cup of water an hour from the air.  

Things will be better in a larger building.  3 or 4 cats, two or three dogs, and I breathe out a bunch of water vapor.

Not sure if sleeping outdoors under the porch is going to work, though.  But I think I'll try it.

jonseyhay

Here is a nice looking home in Florida, which uses cupolas for cooling. http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~liz/home.html

Amanda_931

Interesting house.

Looks like they have to climb up to open those cupola windows.  Now that's something I'd like to avoid.  Might be able to use a transom opener.

I have a friend who until quite recently only had a wood cook stove in his house.  Even in the horrible summer of 1980.  Said it worked pretty well in the summer.