Is this a good deal

Started by travcojim, June 04, 2007, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travcojim

There is a guy in town who sells these garage/cabins, they are 24' x 24' and come with a concrete slab and full upper floor with stairs.  I don't have any interior pics but it is basically a two story framed out with a full upstairs floor.  The pirce is just under 18,000, built on your lot.  For a few thousand more he will make it 24 x 34.  Is this something than could be turned into a full time house in time?  Maybe add a few dormers up top for extra light and a front porch or something along those lines.  I would love to hear everyones feedback on if this is something that could be expanded on.

desdawg

If he will build it in AZ I will take two. If you want to convert it to a residence rough plumbing would have to go in under the floor slab for bathroom and kitchen drains. So you would have to develop your finish floor plans before he starts. Wiring, water, heating and cooling can all be handled within the shell at a later time. But even if you just wanted an apartment above you will need to address the plumbing before the concrete is poured.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

travcojim

He would help with the laying out of the lines,  The price would be a little less because the two garage doors would not be used.  I was thinking of a large master bedroom upstairs and living and kitchen and maybe a smaller bedroom all down below.

glenn kangiser

Looks like a pretty reasonable price to me.  Seems he will have to work pretty hard for his money.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Humm [highlight]it depends  [/highlight];D

Whats the spec's ??? , 2x4 walls , 24" OC , is it sheathed?? , or some single wall , metal braced POS?? 20  year , 15  :o  year roof ??  Etc ???

If it is 2x4 walls is that code-able where you live , insulation wise ??

Ya it sounds cheap , so I figger it is cheap / may be substandard for living quartes.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

travcojim

It is 2 x 4 walls with sheathing, 16" OC  and he has metal bracing.  Not sure on the roof.  He builds alot of them in the city limits and they are sometimes used for office/garages and a few were made into lake cabins, so he builds to code.    Where I am at there is no code per say.  I am about 45 miles outside of any city limits.

Zero Punch

I'm sure the price will increase with decent windows and doors but if your more inclined to finish than do the rough and you like the look, go for it.
I looked at some gambrel roof plans but the DW said "I want a rustic cabin not a barn."

PEG688

BTW thats about  as ugly a gambrel roof as a guy can make  :( His/ The  proportions are all wrong . ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .