Hey Fishing Guy

Started by peternap, January 29, 2009, 02:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Got any patterns for killer crappie flys?
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

Actually I kind of do.  We fish 1/32 oz jigs tipped with crappie or fathead minnows. 
I use mainly Northland jigs, because they are available up here.

Our favorite is a green glow head, with pink heads next.  Other colors work at various times and waters during the year.

My favorite tail is actually translucent bow material (PET).  I cut these about 1 1/2 " long, by the width of the bow.  Then I cut 1/16" strips almost all the way through, but leaving them connected by a narrow strip.

I then wind a layer of thread on the jig, and wind in this strip.  It is covered by 1 more layer of thread.

I add color from dyed bucktails or various feathers I have bought/collected.  These are tied in the last layer of thread.

If you keep everything nice and tight, no glue is necessary.

It takes about 5 minutes to tie one, with my fumble fingers.

The kit comes with me on the boat.  Sometimes, you hit the special color, and have to tie them on the fly (pun intended).  This has saved the day more than once.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

Thanks!
I just tied a couple. It's still a little early....but I've got the bug. Hunting is over (except spring turkey) and I want to fish, ;)

Looks like your using the same kit I have. It's not as heavy or adjustable as my bench vise bit it sure is nice to take it where I want.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

Yes, for a $20 kit, it is perfect.

We used to go on a crappie fishing trip Columbus Day weekend.  Temps were anywhere from 60F to 25F.  There were a group of 6-8 of us that went every year.  One year Day one was zilch for me.  Not a bite, not a nibble.

My buddy on the other boat was doing well.

The following day we switched boats.  I got one of the guys who was on my buddy's boat the previous day.  He had on a glow head, with blue feathers.  He got a hit right away.  I quick pulled out my kit and made one.  I started getting hits.

A Northern hit his...it was a goner.  Bit right through his line.   I told him I'ld tie him one, but it'ld cost him a shot of Brandy (Our little tourney was nicknamed the Korbel Crappie Classic).  He held out for an hour without a hit, but finally let me tie him one.

The third day, we ended up tying a couple for a 75 yer old husband and wife.  They had anchored right in the middle of our drift, cause they saw we were catching fish.  I tied one for granny first.  As we drifted by, we gave it to her and told her she had to drift with it though.

After a couple of drifts, we had to tie ond for her hubby, because he wasn't catching anything.

That particular color has never been as good as it was that weekend, but since we found it it did save that weekend.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

I didn't have any jigheads so I went to Basspro to pick some up. BIG MISTAKE! It always is. ;D

I got the Jigheads and a few other things I was short on in assorted colors and sizes and on the way to the checkout line......I saw a 5 foot, ultralight, graphite,  fly rod that was begging to go home with me.

It did >:(

I can't go in that place.. ;D

fishing_guy

;D

I know exactly what you mean...lol.

river place

This thread is a bad influence.  I used to tie dry flies years ago and was recently thinking about picking the hobby up again.  We bought several acres on the upper Ouachita in west central AR and I'm hoping to start fly fishing this coming spring. The Ouachita is a warm water river so no trout, but nice sized bass, crappie, gar, drum, blue gill, some walleye, and stripper if they come up that far from the lake.

I'll be interested in finding out what types of flies to use in the various pools and areas of stonger current.  Poppers are the norm but I'd like to try various wet flies.

peternap

Tie some woolyboogers. Easy to tie and catch almost everything.

river place

Started going through my old fly tying gear last night so I can catalog what I have. 

Need to get a new vise for sure.  I have an old vise my uncle gave me years ago while in the UK visiting family and it's the old he taught me to tie flies with.  It's now in a display with flys he made back in the 70's as he passed away from lukemia.

Was in the UK this Christmas and bought a new #7 reel while there.  Also picked up a #7 rod last week. 

considerations

One more reason this is an undesirable area.

[hungry]