Research jobs in the USA

Started by fishing_guy, January 16, 2009, 12:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing_guy

For the second time in eight years I have the proud distinction fo holding a job for less then two weeks.

The first time I got the job exactly 2 weeks before Sept 11th 2001. I got laid off that morning.  I finally ended up up with a couple of jobs since then.  I have been laid off for the past 7 months.  Finally ended up with a good job with my daughter's firm.  Worked my ARSE off for the past eight days.  Guess what I get to look forward to tomorrow?  Another layoff notice.  Ain't America fun?

I'm about ready to just tell Obama  et al... to just go shove it.  Not to mention the previous two Bush's I have had my two major layoffs from....

Sorry for sounding p'offed today.....It's because I've had it with being white, old and having the wrong appendages.

I do good work for what I get paid.  Better than most...

And I am just sick...................................
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

Not any consolation I know but it looks bad for lots more soon. 

I am S/E so can't get laid off but that doesn't mean I will always have work...

I have been busy lately though - both here and jobwise.  Hopefully it will pick up for you.  Got any skills to try self employment?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

muldoon

sorry fishing guy, it just plain sucks.  I have been there.  I was laid off the week of 9/11 too.  In fact I was laid off 3 times in two years around that time.  At point that was a password I used for a .mil system.  iwlo3ti2y (no I dont use that one anymore)...

glens right tho, pick yourself up, dust off, and get back to it.  worst boss and best boss I ever had was myself.  obama oshama .. you cant control that, focus on what you have control over and thats you.  god will sort out the rest. 

ScottA

I laid myself off last week. Now that really sucks. Sorry to hear about the bad luck fishing_guy. Maybe you could become a hedge fund manager. I hear alot of those guys are going to jail maybe.  d*

lonelytree

There are only a couple bills that stop me form being unemployed. I can liquidate them quickly. The wife is solid and I have AF retirement (that is going up in a couple months) and I don't HAVE to work. It will limit my toy money but my sanity is worth something.

You never know, I may end up in NM. Then I can visit and host the locals.

Mike

MountainDon

Quote from: lonelytree on January 16, 2009, 12:56:50 AM
..... my sanity is worth something.

....I may end up in NM. Then I can visit and host the locals.

Sanity is worth everything.  :)

We might even find something for you to do. I know NM_Shooter has lots to get done.  ;D ;D  Too much snow right now tho'.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Sorry to hear that, fishing guy  :(  What type of research do you do?  (you may have already mentioned that)  Have you tried medical research?  Or working for the  :o  pharmaceutical companies?

Guess in my line of work - nursing - I have pretty good job security  ::)  people are getting older & there seems to be more & more diseases & the # of people with diabetes & heart disease keeps increasing...  the pharmaceutical companies are always pushing more & more drugs on us to counteract the drugs people are already taking in a lot of cases...   :-\

So yes, it's job security  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

fishing_guy

Sassy,

I worked for 24 years doing product development.  Over the years, I worked on a lot of different stuff.  Anything from sponges to tape to removable wall borders and stickers to Stain protection for clothing to reflective sheeting and inks for traffic signs.

I also did a year and a half stint doing lab tests for a pharmaceutical firm.

The job I got laid off from was a food processor.  I had high hopes, because everybody's got to eat, right?  I do get to work next week, then off to a new phase of my life.  Call back is an option, but not a probability.  We'll see.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.