Non contractor building a cabin

Started by wannabuildacabin, March 08, 2010, 10:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabuildacabin

What steps do you need to take in building a cabin  if your not a contractor and you want to DIY.

MountainDon

Determine what rules you will have to work under.

Minimum square footage for house?

Do you need...
Building permit?
Septic permit?
Well permit?
Costs for the above.

Cost for electrical service to be brought in, water, sewer.

Testing and fees for DIY... electrical and plumbing may have owner-builder tests and DIY permit fees.
Are you allowed to install electrical. That's a problem area in NE for DIY.

Special requirements like whether plans need an architect or engineer "wet" stamp... this can vary locally or by state

Are there requirements for any particular type of main heating system?

Is there a building code that must be observed and which one?

Does the building permit have a time life? Can it be renewed?

Those are some of the hoops that may have to be jumped through, some of the problem areas we owner-builders have run into. At least those are what come to mind, right now.

Add to that a piece of land. Plus taking time to think/work through the plan. the layout, the orientation of the building on the land with attention to seasonal influences.

And...  w* to the forum.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wannabuildacabin

Thanks for the welcome and info. Luckily I purchased a piece of land in VA on the new river that already has the well, septic, level building site, drive and power on it. Now I'm just ready for a cabin. would be nice if there was a minimum size that didnt require permits.

MountainDon

That's great having all those details out of the way.

Next I'd say is to find out about any minimum sizes and what permits might be required.

Then how many rules you are willing to forget about.  ;)

Many places do have certain sq footage sizes, below which avoids the need for a building permit. However, some of those same places toss in things that will trigger permits and inspections no matter the size. Things like plumbing and kitchen spaces. Check on that.  There are a few VA members around, perhaps someone may have assistance on that. What county, it makes a difference usually?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

frazoo

I live in VA, not sure of all localities, but from my experiences in the half-dozen or so county's I've worked in, you need a a building permit for most anything livable, or has elec and plumbing.  I have never worked in the western or southwestern portion of the state so it may be different over there.  Others here are more familiar with your part of the state than I am.

good luck,

frazoo
...use a bigger hammer

cabinfever

Wanna - stop into the town hall where the cabin will be built and ask them what the regs are. Ain't nothing wrong with asking questions like that directly: I want to build a place free is regs if I can, is that possible and under what conditions? If not, best to find out the rules of the game directly from the folks who will be doing the inspection - less chance for misunderstanding and you may even find people who want to help you be successful.

DirtyLittleSecret

Im still amazed at how helpful my building and planning departments have been...absolute gold.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Don_P

I hadn't noticed you were on the New...  w* neighbor. I'm about 5 miles from the Fries Dam.

wannabuildacabin

Cool. My place is very close to Fries on 94. Are you building there.

Don_P

Yup, have been for over 20 years :D
James Moss, Jimmy, is our building official. Good guy, you can reach or visit him mornings before about 9:30 at the courthouse in Independence.
At the intersection of riverside and 94, way above the canoe shop up on the hill, that's one we built.