Need Help !

Started by wed68, March 01, 2009, 09:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wed68

I am building a cabin on Toledo Bend Lake in Central Louisiana,  I am having trouble finding 2x6 tongue and groove for the loft floor and first floor ceiling.  Where do yall find it,  I have looked locally high and low.  My plan calls for 3x12 beams spanning 16 ft does this sound about right?

Thanks

Bill

MountainDon

You will likely have to special order it. Even the HD and Lowe's around here can do that, although some of our members have run into problems with their local box stores. A "real lumberyard" may be the best bet.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Beavers

Not sure if you have Menards down there?

They have it, even though some of their employees will swear up and down that they don't.  d*

Here are the SKU #'s for 2x6 T&G 12' and 16' lengths.

141-1740

141-1766

jb52761

Yes I think our Menards has it....but NEVER NEVER EVER go into Menards, at least here, if you have ANY questions.....know what your looking for, and know where it is in the store....you are better off asking the shopping cart to go into auto-pilot and buzz through the place to round up your supplies... d*....jb...

n74tg

My neighbor is building a house and used 2x6 T&G for his second story flooring.  He had to special order it, and it was big $$$.

Plain 2x6 are cheap (at least fairly cheap).  On my friends purchase the tongue was just a simple square box hanging off the side of the 2x6.  With access to a table saw I think you could make your own T&G pretty easy and maybe save a lot of bucks.  Having a friend to help with the long boards could make it real easy.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

wed68

Thanks for all the advice,  I did find a local store today that could order if for 14.87 per 16 ft board how does that price sound?

Bill

Beavers

16' @ Menards in Nebraska is $15.98

wed68

OK now that I found it how far will it span.  I see most spanning 32 inches on the loft but will it do a little more like 34 or so?

Bill

trout valium

Another way to make the tongue and grove is with a router, it might be a bit easier also with the lengths of 2x you would be using.