Site Design and Gravel Lane Costs

Started by Bill, February 01, 2007, 02:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Can anyone give me some input on what to expect in the way of costs to get professional help on locating a house on a site. The issues would revolve around siting for solar advantage, possible alternative septic location and privacy. Also if I could get some general guidelines on costs for a gravel lane of about 500 yards there are no rock or steep slope problems but the lane would need a culvert to pass over an intermittent stream (wet soil year round pass through about 20 yards). Do I need a professional engineer or an architect or someone else. Thanks. :) Bill    

youngins

Bill,

Where are you building your structure?

Thanks

MikeT

Others may disagree, but this seems to me to be a landscape architect's area.  I say this with respect to the siting issues.  With respect to the road construction costs, I would think the county road department could help in terms of the minimum requirments, then it is a question of materials and labor.  I know for my "road access permit" (driveway), I received a packet of minimum specs that were required.

Best,
mt

jraabe

Bill:

Mike is right to suggest calling the county to see what is needed for site layout and road access. We usually ask for a "residential permit application packet" which has all the forms.

Here is a report I've done that might be helpful for general site layout ideas: http://www.countryplans.com/landkit/tips.htm

And then the Sunkit would be a good idea for a solar study of the building site: http://www.countryplans.com/solarkit.htm

Professionals can help too, but it is good to have your own ideas firmly in place first. For instance, if you don't know where the house should go you can be sure the septic designer will take the best part of the land for the drainfield!  :o Happens all the time!

Amanda_931

This may also be where A Pattern Language would be a good investment.  It's on John's--and nearly everybody else's list.  It's also expensive.  But I've been on lists with people who had it within arm's reach as they built their houses, not just designed them, and thought that it was the most valuable tool they had.

Some help available on the website.  This is, as stated, a small house design section, that's sometimes hard to find if you are looking for it.  But the main website is just www.patternlanguage.com

http://www.patternlanguage.com/smallhouse/begin.htm

But first you need to know what the limitations are--so call the county.

Bill

QuoteBill,

Where are you building your structure?

Thanks

I am building in Rockbridge County VA about 18 miles SW of Lexington VA.
Bill

Amanda_931

Reading back, it sounds like A Pattern Language is for designing and building structures.  Not just that there is a fair amount on siting.

glenn-k

Rock cost can vary but around here it is 44.00 per yard for 3/4 crushed and one yard will do about 160 sq. ft 2"deep so say 10'x16'.   100 yards would do 1600 feet at 10 feet wide or less at wider.  At this rate it would be $4400 for the rock  plus tractor work.  Your rates may vary considerably.

Welcome to the forum, Bill.

builderboy

I did a 550 ft road thru an abandoned field. The excavating was easy with small ditches both sides, rock depth 4" x 12 ft wide total cost about $10/ft or $5,500 total. All I did was mark the road with stakes, then stand back and watch.

glenn-k

Good info there builderboy.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

BuckiSchloo

Hiring someone to help with layout is a great idea. If you are not willing to spend the money, I would recommend you do your own research and come up with an idea how you would like your site layed out. Often, if you don't discuss the exact location of your systems (well and septic), the contractor will place it where it is easiest for them to access while there is no real reason why it could not be where you wanted. Talking to a number of contractors and asking a lot of questions is a good way to learn from their experience.  I also found that learning about the systems that your neighbors have is very helpful.

When I was planning my septic system which involved pumping sewage up to the drainfield, the system proposed by the health department involved cutting large trees and clearing half of my hill so that a 500 gallon pump chamber could be installed. The system my friend on the other side of the lake has is much smaller with only a 100 gallon catch basin located next to the house. When I asked the health department about such a system, they said that would be acceptable as long as the basin was located in the building. They just always specify the pump chamber system.

So I ended up saving a number of large trees, leaving my hill intact and keeping a couple thousand dollars in my pocket by asking questions and knowing about other alternatives.