Lumber yard vs. lumber mill

Started by Jared, January 19, 2006, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

I know lumber mills aren't treated or dimensioned (i.e. a 2x4 is actually 2"x4") but are they generally cheaper than a lumber yard? If I remember right, there's a mill nearby, and I know there's three lumber yards in town here.
Jared

glenn-k

Depends on the operator and type of business they run - a band saw can cut to the same exact size as dimensioned lumber ie: 1 5/8 x 3 5/8 = 2x4.  I do that myself to save material and per Ken Kern, stud walls are overbuilt for what they support anyway.  You probably will not get stamps and the operator may charge as much as a lumberyard or may be as little as half price.

glenn-k

We have talked about various mills including the Alaskan which will make boards for $129.00

None of us have mentioned this obvious solution to making boards from your own logs.  I got my used copy of Asia Grace by Kevin Kelly a couple of days ago.  All pictures - no words in the book but all photos are on the link on line with comments.  Currently out of print but available used and prints are available from the author.  9 1/2 x 12 1/4  Hardcover 320 pages of color pictures.

Chitral Valley, Pakistan

The way you make lumber in this part of the world is you saw a log into planks yourself. It takes two. If there is a lot of sawing to be done, they will dig a pit to allow the lower sawyer to stand. Two experienced guys can accomplish quite a lot in a day, producing a dozen very sturdy planks.

Patan, Nepal

Local carpenters produce planks on the spot by sawing logs. They are building a home.

Asia Grace by Kevin Kelly

peg_688

QuoteDepends on the operator and type of business they run - a band saw can cut to the same exact size as dimensioned lumber ie: 1 5/8 x 3 5/8 = 2x4.  I do that myself to save material and per Ken Kern, stud walls are overbuilt for what they support anyway.  You probably will not get stamps and the operator may charge as much as a lumberyard or may be as little as half price.

Humm so the short answer is , "It depends!" I take it  ;)PEG