Quasi-governmental institutions and public input

Started by Don_P, October 18, 2009, 12:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

This is where I feel our rights are being eroded. When things become overly technical in our modern lives the government cedes rules writing authority over to private companies or associations and then references those rules effectively into law. The public has increasingly less say in these processes.

Last night I tried to log onto the ICC forums. They are now open to dues paying members of the ICC only. I find it interesting that this was done without warning.

glenn kangiser

They obviously saw that they were leaving some money on the table.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

A little update since I slammed these folks about a year ago;
I got back in last night from a 3 day meeting with them in Denver. They invited about 30 of us to come in and sit down with their senior staff and IT folks. They will put their free forums back up. Although not really directed towards the public, and it'll bore the socks off of most folks, it will be open to the public, free to use, probably early next year after they work some kinks out and some of us test it. I recall seeing at least a couple of you over there in the past and am impressed that they do recognize the value to both themselves and the public in hosting a place that allows open dialog.

MountainDon

[cool]

Good work! That's why I always say that if there is something you don't like about what "they" are doing, it is always best policy to make the effort to let "them" know.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.