ridge vent

Started by astidham, November 08, 2010, 06:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I have put a 12' ridge vent foam roll in the center of my roof.
I have not cut the felt back in this area and was wondering, could i just put a slit in the felt for the heat to escape? I will be installing soffit vents
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dug

There is a formula for the recommended vent area. I can't find it but it is somewhere on the forums here, I think Mt. Don might have provided it.

I seem to remember that I ended up with about 7 or 8 sq. inches per 24 in. spaced bay, around the bottom end of what I needed (I think, don't quote me!). I thought you needed at least the same amount at the top exit so you might need to make a little wider slit.

I worried about insects making a home out of the vented areas so I tacked down some screen there, but I worry about a lot of things that probably don't matter.

astidham

— Henry Ford

MountainDon

According to the IRC, Section R806, the minimum total vent area is 1 sq ft of vent area per 150 sq ft of the area. There are ways to reduce that given in the same section.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

astidham

Thanks Don, and John.
I have a ~2" gap under the felt at the ridge.
I can cut away all the felt in that area.
— Henry Ford

Don_P

That 2" gap is what I typically shoot for up top. I don't think a slit will let enough moisture out.

astidham

Thanks for the input Don_P
— Henry Ford