Protecting construction: delayed build and weather

Started by FrankInWIS, September 03, 2007, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWIS

A recent post from a gal asked about the wisdom of building their home by themselves to be free of a mortgage.  It was acknowledged this could take a year.  Generally she got support, and her bad-advise girlfriend was dissed.  Good!
QUESTION:  Would it be helpful to folks stretching out the build to do some special things to help protect the building in the elements during the long exposure time?   I may find myself in the same boat very soon.... not a year, but possible stopped by winter to resume in fall.  

I am inclined to use plywood instead of OSB because of how OSB seems to deteriorate when wet (yes, seen the post about special OSB, and about trick of slamming a hole in the low spot where the water collects)

If I get up the walls and the sheeting, but NOT cut out the windows till they are actually purchased and ready for install.  I'd have the framing there for the windows of course.  Good idea?

Will use tar paper vs. building wrap?

Roof must at least have tar paper and ridge vent?

Should I quick cover the exposed lumber with water protection?  other products?  

Water getting in and pooling in slab will be up against lowest 2 X 4 of treated wood (or 2 X 6)

Other ideas??

MountainDon

Hopefully you can get the walls up and sheathed, the roof sheathing on and then cover walls and roof both with #30 felt. before having to leave it sit for a while. Not tyvex, typar, etc. The #30 felt should weather okay and it there's any tears, whatever, it's cheap enough to replace.

If you don't think you can get the windows in then there's nothing wrong with waiting and cutting each cut out just before installing each window.

If it's not insulated you don't need to worry about the roof vent right away.

FrankInWI

I mentioned the ridgevent being important because I see a opening along the ridge board / truss top, where the sheeting doesn't queite meet on tomp.  

MountainDon

You can always double lap the #30 felt over the ridge from each side to cover the gap and cut it out later when you get the shingles or metal or whatever the finished roof will be.