Header Size?

Started by blackdog, July 19, 2007, 09:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackdog

Hi all.

I want to put a 4' door on the high side of my 8' x 6' shed which has a 4/12 shed roof.  The door will be on the 6' wide wall, leaving 1' on either side of the door.  From what I have read, a 4" x 4" header should be sufficient but I was going to beef it up to a 4" x 6" header.  However, I got thinking that since the majority of this 6' wall will be a door, do I need to go larger with the header size?  All lumber is SPF #2, snow load is 40psf.  Thanks!!

glenn-k

I think as you stated the header should be fine -- seems that will be a non bearing end wall anyway - if I picture this right, however you could have bracing issues and would probably want to make brace panels on both sides- boxed with plywood or OSB.

peg_688

What photo's ? :-? :-/

Sounds to me like he's talking the "high "side which would be bearing if I'm following right  :-/ :-?, if your get much  snow which allows sounds like I'd use a 4x8 IF it would fit, if not the 4x6 would be better spanning 6'  with rafters and snow load.

blackdog

Hey Glenn, thanks for the quick reply.  The door is on a bearing wall (high side of the shed roof).  8' wide side walls, 8' high at the front tappering to 6' high at the back (4/12 pitch).  6'w x 8'h front wall and 6'w x 6'h back wall.  Rafters run back to front.  Door is on the front 4'w x 81"h.

glenn-k

PEG listens closer than I do -- listen to him. :)

blackdog

PEG, I posted before I read your reply.  Anyhow, in the plans I have drawn up, I have room for a 4"x6" header and a 5" cripple stud above it.  I was actually think about raising the door height and using a 4"x 8" or 4" x 10" header with no cripples.  What do you think?

glenn-k

What photo's  --PEG -- only the picture in my head and you don't want to look in there. :-/  Too Scary ;D

peg_688

QuotePEG, I posted before I read your reply.  Anyhow, in the plans I have drawn up, I have room for a 4"x6" header and a 5" cripple stud above it.  I was actually think about raising the door height and using a 4"x 8" or 4" x 10" header with no cripples.  What do you think?

Is it a shed for tool storage , or a cabin shed?  I guess not that it matters that much , so your rough opening will be about 50" total then a 4'0" x 6'8" door?  A patio slider or a barn type home build door?

Again not that it matters that much for a 50" RO a 4x8 will be fine , cripples off the top of it to your top plates and you'll be golden ;) I some how had it almost a 6 foot opening I miss read the 1' as one " and was trying to figger how you'd get all that door in a six foot opening ;D

And Glenn your right I don't want to see into your mind  :o to scarry ;D I miss read your mind picture as a photo, reading and compehenstion must be way down tonight :-[ ;D

glenn-k

You're not the only one -- I'm barely functional.

blackdog

PEG, it's a strorage shed, with a 4'0" x 6'8" home built door as you indicate.  Actually, I plan on having two 2' wide doors hinged on each trimmer stud and closing in the centre.  One other question - would there be any benefit of leaving the bottom plate in the door RO and not cutting it out?  Thanks for your help!!

glenn-k

Sounds like a trip - fall hazard to me.  :-/

blackdog

Good point.  I was thinking there may be some structural benefit to leaving it in cause if I take it out there will only be a one foot section of bottom plate on either side of the door.  The stud bay on either side will be small (by the time you account for the king studs and side wall studs) and only room for one nail through the plate into the floor.

peg_688

QuotePEG, it's a strorage shed, with a 4'0" x 6'8" home built door as you indicate.  Actually, I plan on having two 2' wide doors hinged on each trimmer stud and closing in the centre.  One other question - would there be any benefit of leaving the bottom plate in the door RO and not cutting it out?  Thanks for your help!!

I'd cut it out like Glenn said , jeesh your two for two Glenn  ;D, you could put a head and foot bolt  set up on the passive door if your worried about high wind grabbing the doors in winter. Down side would be having to do and undo the bolts when both door require opening.

blackdog

OK... a 4"x8" header and a cut out the bottom plate it is.  Thanks guys!!

glenn-k

Crimoney, PEG.  There goes another mark on the wall --- you're gonna get me in trouble. :-/