What order to do things

Started by greg2706, July 18, 2007, 02:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg2706

I'm new to this forum and new to home construction. I'm going to build the 20x30 1 1/2 plan on a small parcel out in Texas hill country. At the moment I have just purchased a 3.7 acre parcel. Electric is available as is phone service, but I have to put in the well and septic. I'm wondering what order I should do things. Can I start building the house then get the electric and septic installed? Should I get electric run to a pole so I can use it during construction? Does a septic system require electric?

Here are some projects I've done so far (at my current house):
http://www.mytinyspot.com/NewHouse/StudyConstruction/index.html
http://www.mytinyspot.com/NewHouse/Pergola/index.html

glenn kangiser

Septic should at least be approved first - have house - can't flush isn't good.  :-/

100 to 150 feet septic to well depending on area and conditions - leach field or drilled cesspool.

No electric req'd for septic unless you need a pump - special situation.

Welcome to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Very nice cabinets & bookshelves - great step-by-step photos.  I'e never seen tree cactus - pretty & pergola looks good, too!  Welcome to the forum  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

jraabe

I would work with the site plan first. If you camp and walk the site you may be able to imagine a house at several different building sites. I found a much better house site on my property than the one I expected to build on when it was purchased.

Once you have your general building site then drill a well and get a septic permit based on that house location.

Don't be afraid of making a longer driveway into the best house site. It will be a small additional expense in the big picture.

Here's some other tips: http://www.countryplans.com/landkit/tips.htm

MountainDon

Hey Greg, nice pergola! You must be quite pleased and proud.   :)

Look the layout of the land over carefully as John suggested. I was absolutely certain I knew where our small cabin was going. Until we parked the RV and started cleaning up debris and having a closer first hand look.  :-/  I'd be busy at it now except for a health problem, soon to be cleared up I hope. G/L

tc-vt

Some municipalities will not permit a power line without a septic system being installed first.  This happened to a friend of mine in Virginia.

If your soils or topography are not ideal for septic leaching, you may find a limited number of sites on your property that are suitable.  In this case, the location of your septic and leachfield may dictate where you site the house.

Tom

FrankInWIS

The best I could rate for a septic was an at grade mound.  Even that can only go in ONE place on my property; a small rise on one end of my lot near the river.   Too bad my water is 200' away and my electric over 100 too.  Have to move them both I guess.  
I imagine if your toilet waste line starts lower than the mound, I will need electric pump.

MarkAndDebbie

For me
1. clear trees to put in septic
2. septic
3. well (required septic in to assure 100ft seperation )
4. footings
5. electric (required footings to be sure I was building there)
6. phone/cable if I wanted them they go at 2' above electric (4')

greg2706

Wow! This is a really active forum! Thanks for all the great replies and comments. I feel much better about buying my plans here with the amount of support and info in these forums. It'll make building this home a lot easier.

Looks like I need to get the septic going first - as soon as I have a road onto property. It's really thick with cedar trees. I spent hours just cutting enough so I can walk across it. Good for me that my neighbor has a large backhoe, bullldozer, etc and is available for $35/hr. I found that out when I got my car stuck in the mud 3 feet onto the property. He pulled me out with the backhoe. He's going to put the road in for me next week. It'll be nice to be able to drive onto the property.

glenn-k

QuoteWow! This is a really active forum! Thanks for all the great replies and comments. I feel much better about buying my plans here with the amount of support and info in these forums. It'll make building this home a lot easier.

That's because our members are the best, Greg. :)

FrankInWIS

What an appropriate topic suddenly!  I just got access to about $25K and I think I'l opt for a septic and garage with loft to start.  Will keep camper set up, but hang out in the garage mostly till retirement time when i can afford to do the house.  
$  9 K at grade mound septic ??
$  2 K slab??
$  6 K garage material??

:-X How much for post / meter base for wire coming in from diferent pole next to my lot??

(no charge electric co pole to box < 100 ft)