Picked up my metal roofing

Started by diyfrank, December 03, 2010, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

The instructions say to store on end and keep dry or the paint will blister and void the warranty.
Sound normal? can it take a few weeks or so stacked outside in the weather or do I need to take immediate steps to keep dry?
Home is where you make it

dug

I had the same disclaimer on mine even though it was not painted. They stack so tight together that even if very small amount of water get between a couple of sheets it has nowhere to evaporate to. I thought it was pretty funny at first when I read "Do not let get wet" on my roofing!

I don't know about stacking it on end but I would make sure it was off the ground and well covered.

dug

I just noticed you reside in WA., you might want to stack those on end somehow. I'd at least check for moisture between sheets periodically.

diyfrank

Yeah, They been getting rained on the last couple days.
Guess I'll be drying and stacking out of the weather tomorrow. Better play it safe.

diyfrank

I have them stacked inside my shop on there side with lath strips between each sheet. every sheet was plenty wet. d*  

Next question.
what is everyone doing for the screen at the top. They gave me some foam strips with adhesive on one side. Said to stick it to the ridge vent under side.

dug

On mine I stapled strips of aluminum screen across the gap I left at the top of the ridge, and then hardware cloth on top of that for good measure. The company I got my metal from did not offer a specific vented ridge cap but said with my 12/12 pitch I could just leave the closures out so that's what I did.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in because I was sort of winging it on this portion of the job.

Glad you caught that metal before any damage was done!  ;D

MountainDon

Our roof used stick on strips that were made from something that looks like that fibrous 3M Brand sanding material. We used closed cell foam type strips on the shed roof upper end/ridge as it was not vented that way.   Not sure if that is clear.... if you can blow air through the material it is for vented ridges; if air cannot be blown through it is for non vents.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.