Two questions

Started by DCobb, December 03, 2010, 03:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCobb

I am just getting started and very interested in the 20 x 30 1.5 story plan.  I have two questions:

1) Can the 20 x 30 1.5 story be built with 12 foot sidewalls?  If so, I assume the rafters need to be tied in some way?

2) I notice that several builders of the Victoria Cottage have added "bumps" for their kitchens.  Is it possible to add a bump to the 20 x 30 1/5 story?  If so, how wide/deep can it be?

Assuming I get the right answers to these questions, I'm ready to order the plans and get going!

Thanks for the help!

archimedes

I know the answer to question #1 is yes,  because I've asked that before myself.  Don't know the answer to question #2

Welcome
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

John Raabe

Several people have gone 12' on the sidewall studs to get more height in the loft. If you have an open area of that height in the living or great room you will need to have the two tall walls braced with a tie or two. 10' high is the limit of an unsupported wall.

For a bump or addition to the 1-1/2 story plan the easy way to do that is to put a header in the bearing wall into the new section and then do a separately supported shed or gable addition. You could also extend down the roof for a saltbox type bump-out but this would require a main floor beam across the opening and a bearing wall under the new wall carrying the roof loads.

Either of these would require a bit of customization on the plans.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DCobb

John,

Thanks for the speedy reply!

If I did the saltbox bump, could I pour the foundation to eliminate the need for a main floor beam?

Thanks!

John Raabe

I think most builders would follow the perimeter of the floor area with the foundation and span the wall bearing line with a small beam sitting in notched pockets in the concrete wall. It may need a center support pier or two depending on the span. That provides the best access and ventilation to that section of the crawlspace.

DCobb

John,

That makes sense.  One more thought/question:  if the bump is only 2 feet, could it be cantilevered?

Thanks!

John Raabe

Probably... If the joists go the same direction and you take the roof load off the wall with a beam.

Several members have done a good review of cantilevers on this site. Search on the terms "cantilever joists".

You can always cantilever the depth of the joist... only then does the joist start working as a cantilever.