Turning a "shed" into a home

Started by Homesick Gypsy, December 10, 2015, 03:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homesick Gypsy

Here's the situation - I have a lake lot, all paid for.  According to the bylaws, I can either do an RV, a park model RV, a small mobile home, a 600 sq ft stick built house, or I can do a 400 sq ft "skid camper".  Having never heard of a "skid camper" before, I went to the board for a definition.  They decided it must be "you know, one of those skid buildings you buy at [insert big box building store]."  According to the board, "Lots of people have had those delivered and then turned them into homes."  And "Even if it's less than 400 sq ft, as long as it looks nice, it will pass our approval. Just no junk or shack-looking buildings." 

I don't want an RV or mobile home because of the aesthetics and quality.  I can't afford the 600 sq ft - the least expensive builder I found was $100+ per sq ft.  I am unable to do the building any more myself.

So here's my plan - I'm having the underbrush removed right now.  Next comes geotextile and crusher run gravel, leveled and compacted.  Then comes a 14x24 lofted "shed".  I plan to upgrade to larger skids and heavy duty flooring.  Also plan to spec plywood sheathing (no OSB - it makes me sick), followed by Tyvek or similar house wrap, and hopefully by Hardi siding.  If not, board and batten cedar siding.  Metal roof for rain cachement. 

One camp says no windows so better ones can be installed later, but I'll need at least one egress window because I plan to camp there until it can be finished. If it's possible I'd like to have the entire "shed", including windows and doors all finished and dried in when they deliver it.  Then I can just concentrate on finishing the inside.  My plan is to have electric installed as first utility and then trench in water and septic later on.

My plan is a modified Builder's Cottage.  Modified slightly - not too much.  I'd like to have a small loft over the kitchen/bathroom area for company plus a couple of other changes.

I know you all are big on building it yourself, and I hope to do some of the inside stuff myself, but I welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

MountainDon

Re: windows.  If the builder installs the typical "new construction" window with nailing fins, you should know those are very difficult to remove and upgrade later. The nailing fins are under the siding and window trim, not to mention the house wrap and flashing if things are done right.  When a person has windows like that upgraded in an older house the installers often cut the old window out of the wall with a reciprocating saw. Then they install a "replacement" window that can be made / installed in a couple of different ways. 

If you wait until later to install some windows where none existed that can be difficult as well as if the wall is load bearing it would need additional studs and a header installed. The side walls on a gable or gambrel roofed shed are load bearing.  It would be much easier and simpler to have the best windows installed right from the beginning.

A "big deal" to me with using a shed is the insulation, especially the roof insulation. With 2x4 or 2x6's being most used on shed roofs there is very limited space for insulation in the roof. Two solutions for that come to mind. Spray foam applied from inside and filling 2x6 rafters. Rigid sheet foam installed on the outside, over the roof sheathing, with the metal on top. Or having the builder increase the depth of the rafters a lot.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Homesick Gypsy

Just the type of things I need to know.  Thank you.