Deck builders??

Started by waltsuz, June 29, 2016, 06:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltsuz

Every deck I have built I space the deck boards with a nail for a slight amount of clearance, I think most do? I have a 500 square foot deck I am ready to attach the decking on. I am thinking about bucking the boards tight. Every other deck I have looked over and done the decking ends up with bigger gaps between the deck boards after installation. Any thoughts, will I have issue?  5/4 deck with 2 screws #9 x 2-1/2 board to joist section....Regards Walt

GaryT

I always put new decking boards down tight to each other.  They are typically very "wet" when you buy them.  As they dry out, a gap will appear between boards.  They'll tighten up during damp seasons, and dry out during summer.  If you put a spacer between the boards during install, you'll get a greater gap than you may want.
Gary

kenhill

I have also heard of people laying the boards out on the deck so they can create equal spacing of gaps while beginning and ending with a full board.

Don_P

I run them tight and either rip or make the last board, easy to do if you have a planer.
I ran T&G tight on a screened porch, I had stickered and dried the wood while we were building so it was good and dry and wouldn't gap and let bugs in, or so I was thinking. When the rain soaked into that floor the first time it pushed the deck rim off... so don't run dry wood tight but that is the only time I've had trouble running tight.