22x22 north Wisconsin

Started by jr1318, January 20, 2009, 05:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jr1318

I finaly got around to doing this, I thought I would share my build with you all. I have had lot of help from you all.

Jim

https://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/jr1318/cabin/

MountainDon

Couple of images from the album. Looks quite nice...

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rwanders

22x22 is an unusual size. I tried to develop a floorplan for a 20' wide by 24' deep cabin but found a 24x24 was the smallest footprint I could make work. I never considered a 22' design since 4 or 8 foot intervals seemed to be more efficient when I considered sheathing, roof and flooring panels. Did you find you had more cutoffs when you framed it? Going 24 wide does complicate foundation and joist spans though----I used wood I-beams for floor joists and ended up with a very flat and non-bouncy floor so it worked out well.  Looks like you did a very nice job!
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

jr1318

I wanted to keep my footprint as small as possible but still have the decent size rooms, 20 x 24 to narrow, 24 x 24 to big, 22 x22 perfect, no matter the size framing sucked. I went through 15 lbs joist hanger nails on this project, rafters are all hung on hanger in order to meet snow loads. All in all maybe 1/2 pickup load of waste and maybe 1/2 sqare siding waste some of it due to cutting screw  ups, this was my first time working with fiber cement siding. Thanks for the compliments. Also some may notice the cabin was built using shallow frost protected footings

glenn kangiser

Nice project.  Seems 22 wouldn't be that bad considering you can use half sheets on sheet goods.  You always have to cut the inside anyway.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

SkagitDrifter

Nice project Jim!
You said in your post you used Hardie (cement) siding-
it sure looks like cedar in the photo.
Wondering what product you used on it.
Again, nice work!
Tom
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

jr1318

It is painted or sealed with a product called wood perfect, here is link if its ok to post link if not please delete. The color I used was mahogany with 2 coats. I also used it on trim which was a PVC type I cant remember the brand though.

http://www.superdeck.com/masonsselect/6700spec.htm

John_C

Very nice.  Do you have a floor plan available?  Or a description of the floor plan?

jr1318

Edited after Don helped me , I reposted because Don had 1st floor twice, thanks Don it is alot easier after reading directions. Having one large bedroom upstairs works for me, usually just me and the dog, the wife and kids, (they're older and really dont like to hang with mom and dad) occasionly come up but with ten acres ther is plenty of room to pitch a tent or sleep on cots.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.