2-story Universal details

Started by tchad, January 27, 2008, 01:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchad

Hello all,

I'm a short time member and first time poster. I've pretty much decided to order the 2-story Universal cottage plans for an owner-build on some cleared,but raw, land in upper East Tennessee. My question is about the amount of detailed instruction included with these plans, since I'm an enthusiastic novice. Is it as extensive as what is described for the 'Little House' plans?

Tom

brian_nj

A lot is going to depend on your skill level and the level of research you are prepared to do. There are some things that are not covered as they (on any plans) are considered common construction practices. I just received my plans for the 2 story universal about two weeks ago and they look real good and easy to follow, but then again I do have a construction background.

The biggest advantage of these plans that I have seen is this forum. It gives you a place to ask questions on the areas that you are unsure of. I have not been here long but can already tell that this is going to be a great resource for my build which will be commencing in two weeks (unless there are more closing delays)

I am happy with my plans and the information that came with them they are a lot better than some that I have had to deal with over the years.
Our web site http://www.goldate.us/
Our Blog http://www.goldate.us/blog/

If more people took personal responsibility for themselves this country would not be in the mess it is.

John Raabe

Tom:

With my plans (and any other stock or custom plan) a person with limited building experience will want the help of good house building books (see BOOKS).

While the Universal Cottage is about as simple as a house that size could be, the plans do not tell you such things as how to nail every piece of plywood or how to tilt the wall framing into place. A good book like "House Framing" can fill these gaps. Take your time thinking things through before you jump into each phase (see Thought Experiments.)

The best resource, if you can find it, is an experienced local builder to help you lay things out and check in on you from time to time. If you can afford it hire this person as your foreman.  ;)

The 2nd best resource is all the great building minds that hang out here and help newbies navigate the waters of first-time homebuilding. :D :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

tchad

Thanks Brian & John.

John,

I discovered the residential framing reference and it is great. Thanks for your quick response. Rita (the wife) and I will take a final look this evening and I hope to get these plans ordered.

Tom

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Tom.  I'm sure you will enjoy working with John's plans. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.