New version of the Universal (2-story) going up in Michigan

Started by John Raabe, January 17, 2008, 01:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Owner Darrel Gritter has sent in these photos and while I may have some of this information wrong (I'm checking with Darrel on the length), I thought these might be of interest.

He has built a very sturdy house here. This will soon be a page on the Gallery.

http://www.countryplans.com/gritter.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Homegrown Tomatoes

John, I'm a little confused by what I'm looking at, though I think the house looks great.  Is the window in the middle of the wall on a stairwell perhaps?  Also, I'm assuming that there are actually three floors with liveable space, including a half story in the attic?  What is the total square footage of this version.  It looks great.

John Raabe

I haven't seen exactly what the builder has done to the floor plan but I think the stairway has been wrapped around for a third time to go up to the attic. The dormer gives the needed headroom at the landing and up the 1/2 flight to the attic. Yes, the window below that is at the landing between the main and 2nd floors.

This is an easy way to get inexpensive extra living space in an attic. The roof would then be insulated in the truss rafters and kneewall rather than in the floor as it would be for an unheated attic. In some climates a couple of skylights or roof windows could open the attic space up even more.
None of us are as smart as all of us.