Joist hangers......question

Started by pioneergal, September 18, 2005, 10:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

What is the difference in these Simpson joist hangers ?

When I was at HD shopping for 2x8 joist hangers they appeared to be the same but 1 is 73 cents and the other is 99 cents.

At our hometown building center  they are 35 cents.
Is there a difference in the strength of the hangers?

peg_688

One might be a ZMAX hanger for use with the new PT lumber. They are more of a hot dipped Galv hanger.  If it's Simpson look close , write down the # on the hanger. Compare apples to apples .  

If it's anyones hanger and it's rated for 2x8 , 2x6 etc it's good for most common uses , except PT lumber , the new stuff , hanger must be stamped ZMAX. To meet code.
  Not all testing is complete as of last month when I talked to a Simpson rep at the lumber yard . Some changes might be coming for "dry use areas in crawl spaces ". But as it stands, if it's holding up PT lumber ,ZMAX it .
  Hope it helps , PEG    

Lady_Novice

So if I'm using a connector to secure a 4x4 to a pressure-treated sill plate, then should I use a ZMAX? Should my screws or nails also be a special type?

Is this because the newer type of pressure-treated lumber (brown colored) is different from the old (green colored)?
Thanks,
Lady Novice

jraabe

Yes, using the new pressure treated lumber requires a more corrosion resistant coating on the hardware. Get the matching nails and screws supplied by Simpson.

pioneergal

Thanks Peg and John for your input ....it has been most helpful.

I hesitate to ask questions in Re: to building exposing my lack of knowledge but all of you on this forum have been so kind and patient .

Thank you and God bless until we post again!

I

peg_688

Hot dipped galv. nails or screws . The hanger will ussualy tell you how many and what size , stamped some where on it ,  if not the Simpson book will have the answers.

That's what great about this forum , sharing info :)

Thanks , PEG :)

Lady_Novice

Indeed, gracias to John and Peg. I will begin framing fairly soon and if I hadn't read this thread, I might not have used the right connectors, etcetera, to attach posts to the sill plates.
Lady Novice

pioneergal

I agree Lady Novice.

I too, have found eveyone on this forum to be very helpful wit any question that may ask.

tc-vt

The new pressure treated lumber (ACQ - ammonium copper quat, I think) is extremely corrosive to fasteners.  And, if I am correct, I think not all galvanized fasteners are adequate.  I think they need to be hot dipped or triple galvanized.  Stainless would probably be the best way to go.  Just make sure the ones you use are approved for use with ACQ lumber.

Tom

Lady_Novice

My foundation contractor has already put the bolts in the stem wall (for future attachment to pressure-treated sill plates). I can only hope he put in the non-corroding type of bolts for the newer P/T lumber! I'm afraid to ask him! I have no idea what could be done if he has put in bolts that will corrode. (Perhaps I could use the "old" type of pressure-treated lumber, or cedar sill plates.)

I wonder if this type of thing is common knowledge among contractors. (The county doesn't have building codes, so he wouldn't have found out about it from an inspector.)
LN

glenn kangiser

Here is a link to Simpson products where you can view all the different types by category then go to the picture and specs.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/Category_list.html?source=topnav
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Lady_Novice

Thanks for the link, Glenn. Good info.

I haven't yet asked my foundation contractor if he used bolts compatible with ACQ (the newer P/T lumber) but maybe another alternative could be to put tarpaper around the bolts if they aren't the right type. Well, I'm just thinking out loud. I'll get it figured out soon. Right now it's less worrisome than trying to solve my ground-plumbing crisis. :-)  I was tempted to post a rant about that on the thread about plumbers, but we'll see.
LN

PEG688

No worries 1/2 and large bolts , do not need to be galv.   Why I don't really know , maybe they figure a life of house time line and that large a bolt will last long enought.

Anyway here in Wa. state that's the code , as I understand it today ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Lady_Novice

Peg, thanks for mentioning that. Sounds like one less thing for me to worry about.
LN