I Had a Very Good Labor Day Weekend!

Started by MountainDon, September 07, 2010, 06:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I had a good weekend. I did something unexpected and may, just may have done some good.

On the way to the cabin Saturday AM we noticed there were many folks camping in undeveloped campsites along the forest service road, what the forest service calls dispersed camping. Across the country national Forests are either working on, or have already completed, their Travel Management Plan. Travel management = travel restriction. Our Santa Fe National Forest has released its Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for the Forest's Travel Management Plan. The public comment period ends September 30.

It occurred to me that more than likely the majority of those campers we saw had no idea of what the forest service was up to. Saturday after we ate dinner we drove to the nearest group on a spur road about a mile from our property. We found 6 families camped in an assortment of tents and pop up trailers. I ended up giving a short impromptu speech to the group. Not one of them had heard a thing about the TMP. I got them all riled up when I informed them that if the FS their way that in a year or so they would not be able to camp like they were, where they were.  One of the things the TMP 'addresses' is dispersed camping. By that they mean eliminating dispersed camping, making it illegal to camp alongside most of the miles of FS roads. Along with that anywhere from 45 to 66 percent of the existing number of roads would be closed. I think I easily convinced them of the need to take some letter writing action. I sure hope they carry through.

After that we called on four other camper groups, mostly individual family groups. Only one had heard of the TMP and he did not know about the end to dispersed camping. More letters I hope. Other changes are reduced access for hunters using motorized vehicles to retrieve game.

So if you use a National Forest have a look at their website. See if they have a TMP underway or maybe it's a done deed.

I know it may be a little like beating a dead horse.... but it feels better to do something.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

[deadhorse]   They are not public servants, Don.  They are royalty and we are in their forest... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

It's the least I could do.  I've already attended two of their meetings with many members from our 4wd club as well as the NMOHVA. There are always more of the other side present at those affairs   :(   We have some good people, a few ex forest service managers included. One of them used to be one of the FS folks who read and analyzed comments written in. She's a dirt bike rider and quit the FS so she can lend her knowledge to assist in writing good comment letters.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.