replacement for standard roofing felt

Started by MountainDon, December 15, 2006, 01:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I'm having a new roof applied to my 22 year old home starting today. The old asphalt shingles are looking rather suspect in places. A 26 gauge metal roof is what we chose; having it contracted out as I don't feel up to tackling a project that size on my own, having never done a metal roof. I would have done shingles, but we, that is the DW :), decided on metal. I'm monitoring the process though so I can do the small cabin in the woods come spring/summer. One cool thing I thought I'd pass on. They are not using standard roofing felt. A product called Titanium UDL is being used. It's a synthetic product; much lighter than felt, much more tear resistant, totally waterproof, and the manufacturer states you can leave it exposed to the elements for up to six months. Great for us slow, "I'll do it all myself" builders. At this time I have no idea on the pricing, but intend to pursue that. Oh, one more big thing... it has grip! That is a nodular surface. that allows for sure footedness even on stepper slopes and even if wet!

link to roofing underlayment     http://interwrap.com/roofingproducts.html

They make lots of other stuff too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Amanda_931

I'm told that guys who do metal roofs all the time are soooo fast and soooo good that if you can afford it you should have it done and not spend ten hours for every one they do.

(and besides, helping on one of those got me a black eye--the story of which is pretty silly)

MountainDon

I was watching these guys today and were good; smooth and swift. The panels seemed to be just about installing themselves. Even with the cutouts they had to make for a couple of roof plumbing vents they were amazing. Holes in the correct spot, no variance in the panel positioning (panel ends at the eves). I'm still planning on doing my own cabin roof in metal but it's going to be a simple gable with a minimal number of perforations. Plus it's way out in the boonies and the travel time would add up, not to mention I don't want a whole mess of tradespeople knowing where my hole in the woods is located.

The house gable roof is more complcated by having a garage and added room making a large T shape as well as two smaller half hexagon bump outs. Not to mention the plumbing vents, 2 chimneys and a roof mounted A/C unit, a solar hot water heater array and last but not least my 960 watts of solar electric panels. Way too much work for me to bother with. It's been more than enough work moving the water and electric solar stuff for them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.