NE1 try to build "panelized"

Started by RayN, December 02, 2004, 10:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayN

I have a somewhat remote site I want to build on.  Was wondering if anyone tried to build sections in their garage or basement and than transfer them to their cabin site.

I know weight and size are an issue,  I did something with the frame of a woodshed and using the roof of my suburban (It was only really good for getting the pieces cut and drilled (I used some bolts)).

My thoughts where to frame out 4x8 foot sections and then use a rental truck.  Wondering if this would be convenent for a 12x18, or not worth the bother.

glenn kangiser

I have thought of this concept several times over the years regarding not only cabins, etc but also small storage sheds with steel siding.  It would definately work if you can handle the panel weights and plan everything so it will fit.  I just never did quite get around to doing it.   I considered building a jig so studs could just be dropped in place then nailed with a nail gun.   A small building would not justify building much of an elaborate jig though.  

Glenn
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bill Murphy

My wife and I did this when we built our first module of the little cabin. Make sure you can get close to the building site. We did 4x8 sections, studs with OSB over them. They are HEAVY. Worked ok, you end up with a double 2x4 stud every 4 feet. Next time we will build on site. But it does work.

keyholefarmhouse

I've tied several times to pre assemble something than attach it or put it up in segments.  It has never gone as smooth as planned.  Next time I'll do one piece at a time.  (told myself that more than once.)
Catch nine pounders

jdew

Personally I wouldn't bother doing it that way.  

I think you'd be better off carefully planning ahead.  Be sure you have all the materials and tools you need.  Verify the layout of all studs, doors, windows, etc.  If you wanted you could go crazy and pre-cut all your lumber and mark the stud positions ahead of time.  Think about the order in which the walls will be erected, etc.

If you're organized and know what your doing you'd be suprised at how quick a wall can go up - with the help of a friend of course.

Ray N

Thanks for the input all.  From your suggestions I think I'll just make whatever headers I need and double check what I need in terms of lumber and tools.

Tom in Portland, Oregon

The Time-Life home improvements series has a book entitled "Cabins and Cottages" with a chapter on building your cabin in your garage during the winter months.  This book is great because it explains a lot for non-capenters like myself but I really did like the idea of building by panels.  The even had a template for you to build to use in constructing your 4x8 sections.

Check your local library for a copy as that is where I found in recently.  I  have kept copies of the plans in my notes for ten or fifteen years.  You can find used copies of the book on www.amazon.com if you decided to buy it.  I asked about this idea in either 2000 or 2001, so now I will watch to see what interest this generates now!

Thanks,
Tom in Portland, Oregon

Jens

http://www.backwoodshome.com/previssues/issue88.html#top  Article is called Build a Portable Mini-Cabin.  Pretty good one.  I got a copy from the library.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

DavidLeBlanc

The Time-Life book "Cabins and Cottages" still appears to be in print. Available at amazon for as little as $0.31 - or new for $14.95.

John Raabe

I have a copy of this book. It is well done with great graphics and covers aspects of a rural home not dealt with by many of the standard building books.
None of us are as smart as all of us.