used motor oil

Started by Michael Lopiccolo, April 19, 2005, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Lopiccolo

hi,  i changed the oil on my generator,and spilled oil on the deck, i rubbed it in and wow...looks good.  Can I use, used motor oil as a, deck stain? Any problems with that?   thank you.

Mo Skba

Fire hazard ???  

Could transfer the oil/gas smell to clothing and shoes too.

Bart_Cubbins

Used motor oil is a carcinogen (causes cancer). Don't let children or pets lick or chew on it. Don't sand your deck and breath in the dust. Don't burn it and breath the fumes.

Bart

Michael Lopiccolo

Amanda_931

All true.  Evil half-burned blow-by of uncertain formulation reacting with the motor oil.

But back in the 70's, a health food store stained all their wood with the stuff.  It DID get changed when they a) moved and b) brought in a woodworker as a partner.  But that was a year or two down the line.

bruceinky

One thing I use used motor oil for is my chainsaw. I just pour the old oil in instead of that overpriced chain/bar lube...

Chris

I have read and even saw on TV that old oil was used to stain wood at the turn on the century in homes.  It leaves a very beatiful look to the wood and protects it well.  I wouldn't use it inside, but I think it was on this old house they showed a house with PINE countertops that was stained this way!  They looked AWSOME, but......

glenn-k

Years ago when I was trucking, there was a pump and filter kit you could get to clean up the used oil then blend it with your diesel fuel and burn it in the truck engine.  At least you could use it for power.  I don't know if that still goes or not with EPA etc.  Still would work though- now I guess the PC thing to do is take it to your local oil recyclers.

Jimmy_Cason

A good thick batch of "Truck Stop Style" coffee should produce an interesting and safe stain.  ;D

Scroll down to Homemade stains...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/la_techniques/article/0,2041,DIY_13990_2270133,00.html

glenn-k

I think truckstop coffee has helped to give me a few unsafe stains too :-[