Check Your Deck!

Started by Don_P, July 04, 2017, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

Dr Woeste from the engineering Department at Virginia Tech sent this link out and asked that it be spread around, please do. This is an important issue, deck collapses have been on the rise in recent years and there have been some really bad ones.

http://www.componentadvertiser.com/Portals/0/Downloads/Library/1707/All%20Things%20Wood_Frank%20Woeste%201707.pdf

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Mike 870

I happen to have a deck I need to rebuild sooner rather than later.  I've been struggling with how to attach a second story deck to a balloon framed structure.  Simpson makes some hardware that I found, but honestly it looks no better than lag bolting a ledger into the studs.  Anyone ever tackle this problem (problem being no rim joist).

Dave Sparks

Thanks Don P. Looks like more work for me. :(
"we go where the power lines don't"

Don_P

Sorry Dave, but worth moving up high on the honeydew list.
Mike, I've not done it for a deck but have attached porch roof ledgers to studs using ledgerlock screws and carefully finding the centers of the studs using a drill or visually if there is access to see. Posts is obviously the best support if there is any way to do it.

Dave Sparks

We had our first serious earthquake here from the other side of the Sierra in spring, (weird) and I was looking at beefing up the posts and the attachment to the deck. I will buy some 2" lag screws and do the ledger also ! Thank-you for the timely post!

Don_P

The tip of the lag needs to penetrate through a single rim joist about 1/2" to have sufficient "grab", they don't want to count on the tip. If the ledger is 1.5", there is 1/2" sheathing and a 1.5" rim, the lag needs to be 4" minimum long. If there is siding or a gap upsize the length accordingly.

Dave Sparks

Yea I read that about the fastener length, the fun part is finding the stud in a finished house underneath. I am sure it will be much better than just the nails that were shot in 2005. d*