Hardi panel "wind screen"

Started by markert2523, April 10, 2009, 06:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markert2523

Howdy folks.  New here and planning a 12x16 "shed" in my backyard.  I'll try to post the framing plans to date. 

Wondering if anybody would dare do the siding like this:

http://grassrootsmodern.com/2007/07/30/the-siding-continues/

Kind of violates a true wind screen since the siding doesn't lap.  But I like the modern look.

Wondering about doing my siding like this but using Grace Ice and Water Shield on the sheathing with 15# felt over that.  The felt will get wet but the air gap will allow it to dry out. 

In Oklahoma.  Most of our rain comes in quick downpours.  Usually a lot of time between storms.  Not a lot of snow. 

Thanks

MountainDon

ScottA, also in OK, did a reain screen wall. Have you looked over his topic?

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=3419.0
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Wow, perfect.

Spent a couple of hours reading over and enjoying that post. 

30# felt it is, then.  I will likely need to extend my overhangs a bit as they are currently planned at 6".

Maybe I can get ScottA to let me know where he got that beautiful cedar here in Tulsa and I will scrap the Hardi panel plans!

The plans for my "manshed" are being drawn up by a guy right now.  Should start on it early summer.  Need to finish it before fall due to upcoming "all expenses paid" vacation to the beach (all beach, no ocean) my uncle is planning for me (Uncle Sam, that is).  Still wondering what possessed me to join the Army.  I'm getting too old for this!

Thanks much

PS, I don't seem to be able to post attachments no matter how small I make them.  Keep getting "Upload File Full" error.

MountainDon

Nobody can post via the attachment method. You can post an image though by first uploading it to an image service, like photobucket.com. Then you paste the image url into your message. There is an image posting tutorial under the Forum News section. It is for photobucket and is a little out of date because they keep updating their software. But it helps.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

markert2523

Sorry, trying to get this right.

markert2523

OK, on the right track now.

I sent these rough drawings to a guy I found on Ebay and he is making a two page set of construction drawings for me for $75.  Pretty reasonable, I thought.

I plan to hire out the slab (or 8" poured piers if I go that way) and a buddy has a framing crew he will rent me for a couple of days.  After that I will finish it myself.

No building permit needed under 200SF here.  Only a "zoning clearance" permit.

Thanks again

ScottA

My rainscreen system calls for 2 layers of #30 felt. The cedar came from the lowes at 15th and yale. The cedar is prestained with a sealer stain on all faces before being installed and the outer face will recive a second coat after the siding is all installed.

Also it's important that the felt be installed over ridged sheathing. You also need to provide for a drip edge at the bottom. I used 8" wide galvanized sheet metal placed so the lower edge is 1" below the wood. This keeps water from wicking up the back side of the felt and damaging the wood.

markert2523

Thanks, Scott

When you say ridged sheathing, do you mean something like T1-11?

I didn't realize Lowes would carry cedar like that.  Was it sold as pickets?  Usually those are pretty rough and would require a ton of sanding.

Also was wondering if the sealer stain will keep the cedar from greying if applied periodically?

Good point about the drip edge.

Thanks for the help.

ScottA

Ridged sheathing as in 7/16 osb. The cedar is sold as boards and has a smooth and a rough face. I run them thru a table sander to smooth them up then touch up with a random orbital sander. It takes about 5 minutes per board. Yes the stain will keep the boards from greying. The stain I used says it needs to be reapplied every 5-8 years but a painter friend of mine says after 2-3 coats it will likely last 10 years or more between coats depending on how much sun it gets. Our lot is pretty shady so that will help. FYI the cedar for my cabin cost $1100.

One more thing to note. I noticed the boards take stain better after they dry for a few weeks.