Portable/Compost Toilets advice needed

Started by sherab, July 14, 2007, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhobbit

Quote... and tons of other info there.  http://www.sunnyjohn.com/
I thought pandering was frowned upon... and blatant pandering, well, much more than frowned upon.

Nonetheless, a hearty thanks for doing what comes naturally to you ...
It's about Love first, do later.

tanya

The sunny john looks like it would work quite well but is the vault sealed?  I am nervous about county regualtions.  I can see where a leaky vault could upset some permit types and maybe even result in a big fine.  Can you tell us how that vault is set up so it doesn't leak?  
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for taking it into consideration, mrhobbit.  It is officially, but we all alert our members to information that is useful or of interest to them.  When there is a site such as yours that provides free information so people can better themselves, but still needs to make a bit of a living too, I have no problem with it. (and now John has added the Google professional panderers to help support the site- so what can I say).  :)

I do get rid of useless panderers or ones that try to take advantage of our members. and sometimes let questionable ones hang around a bit if they don't make a nuisance of themselves. and may have some usefulness to our members.

I do sell myself for money nearly everyday -- don't we all? :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

mrhobbit

QuoteThe sunny john looks like it would work quite well but is the vault sealed?  I am nervous about county regualtions.  I can see where a leaky vault could upset some permit types and maybe even result in a big fine.  Can you tell us how that vault is set up so it doesn't leak?  
tanya,

The Sunnyjohn design has been approved at various sites by regional officials.  They do prefer to take a look to confirm the design meets the Private Sewage Guidelines that they have adopted.  The original design was designed and then built to conform to the those guidelines that applied to a 'private privy vault'.  Whether folks adhere to the design is always a wildcard in any homebuilt project, but generally speaking, if folks stick to the monolithic pour prescribed in the plans and use '6 sack [aka barn mix]' for the concrete, they will have a water proof vault that guarantees control of all ground water contamination concerns.  The first prototype was approved by the Colorado Health Department as the primary toilet facility for the adjoining Class A dairy creamery and milking parlor.  Your results may vary...

mrhobbit

glenn,

Thanks for the easy hand.  Something tells me that this forum is the place to be for now... and the rest of my baggage comes along for the ride.  But I do travel very, very light. [smiley=cool.gif]

Is there any conversation going on about ultra low cost heating and cooling scenarios for greenhouses and season extenders?

glenn kangiser

Please spend all the time you can here, mrhobbit.

We have not talked a lot about the low cost heating and cooling for greenhouses, but that is of interest here and Jonesy down under has been experimenting with cool tubes.  I'm sure it could be adapted to houses also.

I browsed it a little on your site but haven't had a lot of time to study it well.  It looked very interesting though.  It could go into the general topics or off topics where we have the garden thread - or maybe it even fits in the garden thread.  

We really appreciate you and all your baggage in this forum. :)  

John allows me the freedom to bring in any topics of interest to home owners or our members by any stretch of the imagination in trade for me helping him with the forum so he can take care of his plans support.  He hops on over here any time he has a few extra minutes with his wisdom and comments.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Then there is always Glenn's Passive Aggressive Solar Heating

Have you checked out my Underground Complex?  It is pretty easy to heat in the winter and doesn't require much more than a fan for cooling in the summer.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

mrhobbit

[size=12]What makes a house a home for a hobbit?[/size]

Let's start here:

• Organic matter in...
and see what fills in -

all the way to:

• Organic matter out
Basically, it all begins with edibles.  That amplifies presence, and depending on the ... errr 'dependencies', that cycle is completed to the detriment or edification of those who attract the edibles into their worlds.  And when it's all said and done, all there will be is more of what it started out with - -  -   -

And only question that remains is who can build a home that withstands builder's occupancy [and many more lives too!] and graciously returns to the Earth 'from whence it came' when it's time has come.  

tanya

Mr Hobbit thank you for the response about the tank sealing information.  I have been looking into this for some time and worry endlessly about how to contain the shit.  Now I know.  It seems so simple why aren't more people everywhere using this method.  Thin of the fresh water we would save. OK now...Back to vacation!!!
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

glenn kangiser

You are making me think, mrhobbit.  I think the underground cabin fits most of those ideas as well as the way we live in it.

I have said they can leave me alone while I'm alive and push it in over me when I'm gone. :)

glenn kangiser

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1185210631]This Thread[/link]

Moved the Strawjet info to it's own topic.  What a machine. :)