Typar has just about had it!

Started by littledog, June 24, 2010, 11:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littledog

Hey there folks, it has been about 2 years since I made an update or post on my project.  It is nice to be back and see what everyone is up to.  I started a 22X32 two storey with a walk out basement back in 2007.  I posted some of the beginning pics on here back in 2007.  Wow has it really been that long.  Anyway, we moved into the basement last September and I have been slowly finishing things one room at a time.  I will post updated pics soon but I had a total technology break down not to long after starting the house so I don't have access like I used to.

Anyway, sorry for the length, I do have a question.  Not to long after the house was sheathed and the windows went in I wrapped the house with Typar.  That was 2007/08 and I haven't sided it yet.  It has held up really well considering the beating it is taking.  The Typar is breaking down in some places.  Crackly and thin and in other areas it looks ok still.  We are just about to start siding the blasted thing and I am positive I should tear off the typar and replace it.  My dilema is do I replace it with Typar or tarpaper.  I know I am stepping into a nest of vipers asking this but I am anxious to use the right thing.  I am installing the siding over a rainscreen.  The windows and doors were installed over 3/4" strapping.  I would cut around the strapping to remove the old wrap and flash then tarpaper/typar them before strapping the rest of the house.

I know that is a little long winded but I wanted to get the specifics out there.  Any thoughts would be greatly apprciated.  Incidentally a few hundred dollars of Typar has lasted really well as temporary protection.  Anyway, thanks for your input.   

glenn kangiser

Nice to hear from you. 

As I think you know - Typar, Tyvek etc can cause major problems to your house if everything is not perfect.  Water may go in and not come out rotting your framing and causing mold issues.

Tarpaper wicks the water out if such an issue occurs, then dries and goes back to being good ol' tarpaper.

To it's credit, the house wrap product is fast.  That is why builders for the masses like it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dave Sparks

I may be reading this wrong but are you saying the Typar did not have siding over it? Out in the sun anything will breakdown except dirt. Replace it!
"we go where the power lines don't"

DirtyLittleSecret

Heck even getting Typar/Tyvek dusty ruins its qualities.  Being left exposed made it a waste of $$$.  Sounds like you've got a scheduled date with several rolls of 15# tarpaper.  Only thing I've used Tyvek for is under the cabin...Previous experience while wearing tyvek suits is that they do not breathe nearly adequate enough for me to trust my labours to (if I hardly have the time to put it up once I surely dont have the time to do it twice).
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

MountainDon

littledog ran into what many of us owner-builders run into; lack of time to get everything done in a timely manner. A few hundred dollars of wasted material is probably better than having not covering and having the sheathing deteriorate to the point of requiring replacement. That's probably the lesser of two evils. At this point, if the siding will be going on soon, it is a personal choice whether to use felt or some synthetic. I lean towards the tried and true felt myself.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

DirtyLittleSecret

Quote from: MountainDon on June 26, 2010, 03:58:01 PM
littledog ran into what many of us owner-builders run into; lack of time to get everything done in a timely manner. A few hundred dollars of wasted material is probably better than having not covering and having the sheathing deteriorate to the point of requiring replacement. That's probably the lesser of two evils. At this point, if the siding will be going on soon, it is a personal choice whether to use felt or some synthetic. I lean towards the tried and true felt myself.

Completely agree, and please dont take my previous comment in a snidely manner!  Heavens, I've "wasted" more than that with my "experiment"!
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

Jeff922

I'm glad you brought up this topic because my tyvek has been on for about 11 months and I gotta get it covered.  I think it is listed for about 180 days uncovered.  But what does that mean?  180 days in sun?  Anyway, I can't see any UV degradation yet, but what does that look like anyway?  It certainly appears to be "waterproof".  I thought I would have the siding on by now but....Anyone else have experience with Tyvek and exposure?
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

littledog

Thank you all so much for responding.  It was my nagging suspision that I was going to be replaceing the wrap.  It is just looking pretty bad.  I have removed some test spots and the sheathing is in fine condition.  The site is on a sandy south facing hill.  Nice and dry.  This has definitely been one of those Ran-out-of-time-only-have-two-arms-no-money-left-Wife-might-leave-me kinds of things.  (Just kidding about my Wife.)  It is going to be really nice getting the siding up.  I am leaning toward using the tarpaper to replace the Typar.  Everywhere I look it seems that is the tried and true method.  I'm sure I will be back to pick everyone's brain on tips for Tarpaper installation.  Thanks again for the advice.  Littledog.