Windows

Started by coleman, October 29, 2007, 01:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coleman

What are a general good sized window for the 14x24 plan?  I can get a good deal on windows and thought i might buy some if i can figure out what size would be appropriate.

MountainDon

Windows are a very personal detail, IMO. My 14x26 plan has one 6x4 slider, one 4x4 slider, one 3x3 slider, one 1 x1 slider and a 2 foot fixed octagon.

Before buying windows just because they were a good deal, I'd think long and hard first about what I'd really want. Then I'd think about whether or not I'd be happy with "second best". By that time the great deal would probably be gone, and I'd have to buy the first choice. And I'd be happy for sure.  :)

FYI, a 36" wide steel door with thermal break is my door choice. With an exterior all glass/screen door for warm weather and letting more sunshine in.

Just my opinion. OMMV

Just for the sake of comparison I'd like to know what others think they'd choose for windows.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

I'm going with 5- 2x3' round top dbl hung windows and 2- 6' all glass sliding patio doors with screens.

Scott

tc-vt

For windows in any house, think about the room in which the window is being installed and the purpose of that room.  This determines the height of the window.  For example, with an eight foot ceiling and 2x10 headers, a roughly 51 inch tall window is good for a bedroom because you can fit a night table under it.  In a living room, where you may want to place a chair in front of or next to a window and be able to see out the window while seated in the chair a 55 to 57 inch window will work well.

If you are installing a window over a tub in a bathroom you should use tempered safety glass, and I think code requires it now.  This may also apply to glass in stairwells where someone can fall into the window.

In the kitchen, I am happy with my awning windows over the kitchen sink and counter areas which are easier to open with the crank than it is to open a double hung while stretching over a countertop.  The awning windows can be left open in the rain without letting in the rain.  Casements with cranks would work well in the kitchen also, and if built as part of a bay window can provide a spot for an herb garden.

Large picture windows let light in where the window is not easily accessed for opening and closing (I have one in the stairwell).

Hope this helps a bit.

Tom