Garage

Started by StinkerBell, April 10, 2007, 12:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

I think the first building we need to build on our property is a garage.

Pros...Cons?

bayviewps

Good idea.  

You will gather experience when building a garage first.  You will have storage for material when you build your home.

You could use the garage for temporary living quarters.

southernsis

I agree with Bayview, we are building our garage first so we have a place to put our building materials and tools. Then we are going to live in it so we can remove the little cabin we live in now and build our house where the cabin is. We are building a large 2 car, then 1 1/2 story cabin.

glenn-k

Good idea.  

Ken Kern stated, in The Owner Built Home, regarding a home workshop, "It should , perhaps, be built even prior to the dwelling."

StinkerBell

Its going to be a event. If we are successful we will move to the main dwelling. If we have no talent and are a danger to ourself we will have a over glorified shed.

southernsis

StinkerBell, we may be in the same boat. We will know soon enough if my husband and I have any talent. We may end up on one of the websites that show strange buildings. We are going to take our time.
Good Luck and Happy Building

kenhill

The very first structure should be an outhouse if you are remote.  It would have made my family very happy!

MountainDon

I second that kenhill. I'll be living in the RV but I'm not going to want to transport innumerable trip with the blue wheeled containers.

glenn-k

That's right guys.

Hey, Stinkerbell -- you could build your outhouse with a loft and you'd have a place to sleep too. :)

MountainDon

Also available as....

desdawg

Build the garage first if it is to be detached from the home. I have done that a number of times and never regretted it. It only makes sense.

StinkerBell

OH MAN!
MountainDon You are funny!

Amanda_931

I used to have a poster with the management/workers outhouse.  From a company that made them inexpensive enough that you could put them around the plant.  

that was fun.  In other ways they were pretty weird.  

Here they are, with the bumper sticker I have on my truck, haven't spotted the poster, but it's not all that great.

http://npcdev.com/catalog/s107.html

found it.

http://www.northlandposter.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?menu=1&item_no=p294&category=posters&keyword=Justice&newproduct=&discountproduct=

Kodakjello

Good luck with building the garage first...you should check with the county to make sure you're allowed to do that. I was told that I couldn't build so much as a small garden shed before the house was completed!! I think they ran into too many people building garages and then never getting around to building the house  ;D

Kodakjello

glenn-k

Like they have any right to dictate what you do on your own property, but you are right Kodakjello - they may try.

I think I have ranted on this in other threads - no need to go into it here. ::)

StinkerBell

I have touched on this idea with the powers that be. They seemed to want to work with me and because we have a very small RV they can't argue we would live in the garage. Plus, I would probably submit both garage and home plans at the same time. I have no desire to live in a garage. Nope, garage space is my work area. I want no teens in that area.

glenn-k

Sounds good Stinkerbell.  

Glad they may be reasonable. :)