Clean rebar????

Started by 2zwudz, October 19, 2008, 08:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2zwudz

Some of you may know I have been struggling getting my footings to my cabin ready to pour.  Just about the time things start to dry out it rains again and makes for a muddy mess.  I went to the cabin again this weekened to set the rebar (thinking it would be dry enough) and yes it had rained there a day or so before.  Since I couldn't put the rebar down in the trench with the mud, I cut, bent and set it along side the trench as to be ready when it does dry up enough.  When I did this the rebar got mud on it.  I was talking to a concrete contracter and he said the rebar must be clean and free of mud before I pour concrete in the trench.  How true is this?

Thanks
Mark

glenn kangiser

The concrete cannot grip the rebar if it is muddy.

I like it suspended - blocked with concrete pieces - wire etc.  Maybe you could tie it up and hose or sweep or brush it off .

Below is referring to a slab and only a trowel - board etc may be required on a footing or wall.

I don't like to worry or mess with it while the pour is going on.  Too many other things that require your attention.   Also I like to make plywood or other jigs to hold all anchors etc in place.  It's a real pain to do it while the concrete is wet or have one that can move.  Guaranteed - it will move.

Have someone run around with a trowel and edger, bull float and Fresno Trowel with long handles and a weight available - etc doing everything while the concrete is still wet and as soon as able to do it-- lightly at first then firmer as able- repeat as it gets firmer.  Staying ahead of it is the only way as once you get behind it will kill you and you may never catch up.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.