Stuff to think about...

Started by Q, February 14, 2009, 08:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q

I don't post here very much so I doubt any of you will know much about me, For one I am younger then most if not all the other people here; I'm still in high school :P And I'm at the point when I have to start think about the "future" d*

My delemia is, I still don't have a clue what to do when I'm out of school here soon, I have ideas but no answers, which are things I staring to need, And I figured you guys may be able to give some thoughts on everything.

I have two opinions, go to community collage or university, each with it's pros and cons.

If I were to go to a community collage I'd be getting a trade in carpentry, electrical, etc., To do this it costs about 10,000$ and 2 years to be sent out to work. This has it's benefits because the community collage can generally help put you in a job so that when you leave you're employed, and making money. This is an attractive choice because it's cheap, quick, and makes you good money, and the fact I'd enjoy going into a trade.

The other choice it university, I could get a degree in just about anything, to do this it's about 40,000$ and 4 years minimum, before I have to go looking for a job. Jobs you get after going to Uni are usealy higher paid. (If you don't get laid off d*).

I just don't know what I should do, Both options are good, but whats better for the future and will keep me employed and working for the rest of my working live? Which is better with the current economic issues?

I'd enjoy a trade, but everyone is pushing for me to go to a university.

Since most of you have already went through the whole thing, you all have experience, and I'd like to know what your thoughts and opinions are. Because while I have to be happy in my choice, I also need to know It'll take me somewhere and keep me in a job.

(sorry for the bad spelling, the laptop keyboard is quickly dieing and it's type, so words get messed up.)

Redoverfarm

Q what has worked for me may not necessarily work for you.  I was able to get into a career w/o any formal college but once within my career I was able to have my employer to flip the bill on my continual education. It all boils down to what you want to do in life and can you make a decent living doing that.  I have always  believed that if you are doing what you like that you will do well because your heart is into it.   I got into my career early in life and got out early.  Still spent the same amount of time as anyone else did before retirement but I just went at it a little earlier than most.  Although probably the furthist thing from your mind now is retirement.  But it should be high on your priority list when selecting a job.  It will come at you faster than you think.  If you lock yourself into a job that requires you to work most of your youth and majority of your middle age and some of your mature age what is left?

In regards to your degree you should have some education other than basic high school just to get into a job market whether it be a laborer, trade or professional.  If you specialize your trade in a demand type job then you can probably surpass some degree paying jobs if you are committed.

There are other people on this site that I am sure will give you their take on this subject. I would listen and learn as their is a wealth of knowledge from everyone here.   

Somehow I think I had this same discussion with my son d*

NM_Shooter

Trades are good, but consider that housing starts are a bit down.  4 year degrees are now sort of the standard education, much like a HS diploma was 50 years ago. 

Consider going into the military.  Do some traveling first if you can.  If you want to go straight into schooling, find something that can't be outsourced.. I suspect that nursing or other medical related field would be pretty secure.

This is one of the toughest things you'll ever have to figure out.  Good luck!

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

glenn kangiser

What is good in the US?  hmm .... we don't do much of anything here anymore.

I was a fan of the trades but as Frank mentioned -not a lot going on.  One thing though is that if you learn a trade it will always be there for you as a backup.  Note that the labor unions do training and sometimes have jobs - but you are stuck signing a contract with them that you won't work if they don't give it to you - I don't think they bust your kneecaps anymore but  I haven't been there.  Just hired some out of work union guys that got the training and had to scab to make a living.

My wife is a nurse and she encourages people -- male and female to take up nursing.  In this world people will always be getting ill, and the medical industry will profit from it.  You may want to get your piece of that if you don't mind what you do. 

Let me ask you this -- what do you like to do that you would like to make money doing? hmm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

If I had it to do over again.... whew!  Well, for starters, no matter what I decided regarding my field, I would start off at a junior college or trade school instead of going straight to a big university.  Yes, it is cheaper, but beyond that, it is smaller and you will actually have TEACHERS as opposed to people who see teaching as a secondary issue and are mainly in academia to do research and get it published.  In a smaller school too, you have a better chance to get to know people too.  Many of my classes, especially the first few years of college, had anywhere from 100-300 students/class.  Secondly, I'd do what I really wanted to do.  I always wanted to do work that would keep me outdoors.  Truth is, most outdoor jobs don't require a 4-year degree.  For me, it doesn't really matter, because now I have that hard-earned degree sitting in a drawer in my desk, and I am at home raising kids, but if I did have it to do over, I would probably learn a trade that would keep the bills paid and that I would enjoy doing. 

Sassy

It's great you are thinking about what you want to do!  I had no idea - I'd thought about nursing, being a missionary, couldn't think of anything else.  Went to a Jr college right out of highschool - did really well the 1st yr but then had a lot of fun the 2nd yr so never really completed my 2 yr degree.  Then I ended up getting married, working as a nurse's aid, then in a bank for 10 yrs & a few parttime jobs.  A friend talked me into going back to school for my nursing degree.  My sister had been a nurse for years & seemed to like it.  I was always fascinated with the human body, I took my pre-requisites at a Jr college & then transferred to a university.  I can't say I have ever regretted becoming a nurse.  Sometimes there's a lot of stuff you have to do that you'd rather not, sometimes you are so busy you never get a chance to take a break or sit down, other times you have some free time - like right now (I'm at work). 

There are a lot of men going into nursing - excellent pay - better than a lot of master's prepared professions.  There's lots of variety in nursing from bedside, ICU, ER, home health, pt education, labor & delivery, IRM computer, management, expert witness in court, psych, flight nursing; you name it, you can do it in nursing.  Plus, if Obama doesn't do away with health care for the elderly, our population is getting older & older & the need for nurses is one area that I think will keep growing.  Just some thoughts!   :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

MountainDon

This is a very tough decision.

There are also more than construction trades, there are the automotive, heavy truck, aircraft, marine and various electronic and appliance tech trades.

There's the merchant marine, pays good from what I understand; away from home a lot though. And any of the military branches including coast guard. Also Customs and Immigration.

The military can also be used to get you through university, if you qualify.

As for university costs, don't forget FAFSA. You may be eligible for grants and scholarships that do not require repayment.

Nursing, pharmacy, medical lab techs, etc. are all going to be in demand for some time.

Best of luck on your choice.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wildbil

I am currently an orderly at a small hospital and at one time was considering going on to get my RN. I work side by side with many nurses. To do this job you must absolutely love people. I have come to Hate people. The majority of your patients will be whiney, lazy(refuse to even WIPE themselves!), and expect their treatment take priority over everyone elses'. Your mind and body will suffer tremendously.

If you decide on the medical field here are your best choices:

Radiology/ Nuclear med
Physical Therapy
Respiratory Therapy
Sonography
Medical Lab Tech

Since you are in highchool it should be easy to have a counselor setup some job shadows for you, if you want to be in any of these fields.

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."
-Thomas Jefferson

n74tg

Even back when I was in high school, thinking the same things your thinking now, I remember wondering what I should study in college.  I remembered so many of my classmates saying they were going to study things like history, english, geography, etc.  Whenever I asked them what were they going to do with a degree like that, their answers were either I don't know, or "teach, I guess". 

It seemed to me such a waste of four years; to study something that you couldn't even make a living doing.  So, I chose something that I knew would/could support me...and majored in engineering; nuclear engineering to be specific.  Why, because nuclear power plants were in their infancy and I thought nuclear power would be the wave of the future.  Fortunately for me I changed my major to civil engineering as I might have starved to death as a nuclear engineer.  Did I WANT to be a civil engineer (and design and build skyscrapers, dams, roads, etc); NO, not necessarily.  But, what I did know, was that if I was going to put up with the difficulty, time commitment and expense of pursuing a four year degree, it might as well be something that would support me is some reasonable standard of living upon graduation.

Here's the funny thing.  I ended up getting a master's degree in civil engineering too, and an MBA somewhere along the way...and in all the years of my career I ended up actually working as a civil engineer for only about a year to a year and a half.  Was it a waste getting the extra degrees in a field I didn't actually work in...absolutely not.  I learned very valuable things in each degree, things that I applied indirectly in every job I had all the way up to retirement.  An engineering degree opens many doors for you, even if the job isn't in engineering per se.  The same can be said for an MBA.  Now, keep in mind that what I'm saying applied back in my work career years (roughly 1975-1995). Is that still true today; with all the overseas outsourcing of jobs in America; I don't know.   Also keep in mind, that back when I was doing all this, that college was cheap.  It isn't cheap anymore. 

So what advice would I give you?   Yes, absolutely pursue a career in a field that isn't likely to be outsourced.  The medical field qualifies, as does many of the trades (electrician, plumber, hvac, auto mechanic).  Many of the trades have the advantage of your being able to get into earning a living wage much earlier, and at significantly less expense than going to a four year college.  Right now, with the economic situation in this country being what it is, and in my mind, the situation we are going to be in for a long time, debt of any kind is BAD; avoid it like the plague.  Now if mom and dad are going to foot the bill for four years of college, you might want to consider it.

Here's one other piece of advice.  At your age it is very difficult/maybe impossible to actually decide what you want to do for the rest of your life.  At your age I didn't really even have a clue.  I thought I'd like to be an engineer, but no one ever suggested actually going and spending some time with one and actually see what they do for a living.  But, I am suggesting exactly that for you, no matter what career field you're considering. 

You will probably change jobs many times over the length of your career.  Some of the things you will end up doing, you probably can't even imagine right now.  What I envisioned my career would look like when I was in high school and even college, and how it turned out in actuality, are very different, so different as to be almost unbelievable.  That same scenario may just happen to you too.  So, if you decide on the four year college route, pick a major that gives you some "options" or building blocks that you can count on later in life to open doors for you. 

Good luck with whatever you choose.   
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Sonoran

Q,

Hmmm...

My economics teacher said that "if you ask 100 different economists a question about how to fix the economy, you will get 100 different answers"

This is basically the same thing.

My answer would have to be a quote from the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Thomas S. Monson "Find Joy in the Journey."

Whether you choose CC or Univ. I guarantee that you won't die and live a miserable life because you should have choosen differently!

I'm 22. I worked construction straight out of high school and I greatly enjoyed it.  Now I am going to a Community College.  I'm not sure if I will ever have as much fun as I did in construction, and I won't be sure until it's over anyways. 

Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

Pox Eclipse

Another option is to go to community college for two years and complete your undergrad requirements (English, history, sciences), then transfer to the university to complete your major.  It gives you some time to figure out what you are really interested in, and you don't pay a premium for classes that can be completed anywhere.  Just make sure the CC is accredited and transferable.

sparks

Interesting topic, Q. This might be somewhat simplistic, but I've spent the last thirty years of my life because of something I learned at a very young age.

E= I times R ........Ohm's Law.

What was a hobby/avocation turned into a career in the railroad signal business. And it's been very good to me.

If the doors appear to be closed, look for open windows...good luck Q!

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

peternap

As always, good advise from everyone. I especially second what Redover and Pox said.

You should have some higher education and preferably a degree, just to get a foot in the door. Thankfully, that is becoming less important right now but it may go back to the old system at any time. You should also have a trade as a backup. Summer work is great for learning how to hammer nails.

I have a birthday coming up this week (I know, I lied on my profile. Too much information on the internet already ;D) and someone asked  me if I would change anything in my life. After a lot of thought, my answer is not one damn thing.

The point is, go with what you feel is good for you, but go with caution and always have a backup.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

tanya

Yes go to community college and then University.  IF you decide you want to continue on after in a trade you will have a lot more options than just a laborer.  Know your likes and dislikes, if you don't like sick people don't be a med professional, if you love to cook go to cooking school.  Never ever close a door and look for volunteer opportunities and Part time jobs while you are in college.  Work experience goes a LOT farther than a college degree in a lot of situations.  My degree is in counseling, I wasn't working enough so I did construction for a year, I loved it the hard work really helped me feel better physically, BUT all in all it is my part time jobs while I was in college that led to the best pay with over all never being out of work. New construction clean up and custodian/professional window washer.  I have to fake being sick or injured because to many people want me to work doing that kind of work. ( I am trying to be retired, at least semi retired)  I like it as well as anything though and the pay is not to bad you just have to be sure to pay attention to detail and learn the ropes as best as you can or you will make $10 per hour forever.  (a good cleaning contract should bring in at least $30 per hour). 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

Squirl

It really depends on what you want to do.  Remember, when you get a career, not just a job, you will probably spend 40 hours a week or more doing it for 40 years.  This is a good chunk of your life.  I try and break down some of the points of your question and show you a few more options.

First, it depends on what you want to do.  When I was in high school my passions in life were economics and the law.  No trade school was going to allow me to get there.  I love building and working with my hands, but I knew I wanted to do something else too.  If you have a passion for medicine, law, accounting, engineering, aerospace, physics, science, teaching, and the list goes on, a trade school won't let you do any of that in life.  They are college degree required fields.

Second, education is a life long process.  Rarely does anyone stay in the same career with no development in life.  You will probably find yourself quickly unemployed if you don't.  Fields and the world are constantly changing, you have to see education as a life long process to keep up.  This is where a college degree can be very helpful.  It certifies that you have completed certain education requirement, then if you do decide to change careers you can more quickly.

Third, if money is an issue, I recommend Pox's idea of going to community and switching to a four year college.  Check for matriculation agreements that you local community college has.  Most have established agreements with course work and acceptance at each four year university.  Community college is a total waste if you want to go to most private universities because they will not accept the credits.  That brings me to my next point, public universities don't cost anywhere near $40,000 a year.  I live in PA and in my state has one of the highest public university costs in the nation.  Tuition and room and board is usually under $24,000 a year.  You can also state and community shop.  Find a good community college or state college you like, and move there.  Work for a year, pay your taxes, participate in the community, and pay the local rate.  The savings of this over the next four years can be tremendous.

Fourth, if you have no idea what you want to do, a trade might be best for you.  You may love it.  I have had many friends that went to private universities at $40,000 a year, when their family couldn't afford it.  They graduated with $160,000 dollars of debt and a degree in art history.  Because they weren't interested in it, they never could get a job in a very limited field, and their lives are still miserable to this day.